Battery loading and using

Conard

Joined Sep 16, 2008
Hello,

I'm very new to electronics but I'm trying hard to learn. Right now I'm stuck with a project for school that might be a bit to advanced for me, so I hope someone can help me a bit.

I have an electro motor powered by a battery, the battery gets charged by solar panels. I figured it wouldn't be possible to load and unload the battery at the same time, so when it's sunny I want the solar panels to power the motor with 7,2 volt and use the remaining power to charge the battery. When there's no sunshine (when the panels don't supply enough energy to power the motor), I want the battery to take over.

I don't know what exact components to use. I was thinking it should be something like this:p:

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
For some reason, I can't hit the imageshack site to see your drawing.

But the situation is like the battery in a car - the alternator can charge it while it handles a load, too. I would arrange the solar panel to be the battery charger with an isolation diode, and use an LM317 regulator off the battery for the 7.2 volts to the motor. You will almost certainly need a large heatsink on that regulator.