Battery drawing less current

tonir

Joined Aug 9, 2012
Hi,

My battery is drawing less than 100mA current from my LM317 voltage regulator. The output current of voltage regulator is around 400mA. So i charge the battery daily for 5-6 hrs. So it takes 2-3 days to fully charge.

Is it the problem with the battery or charging circuit?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
Are you talking about your 12V 7AH SLA battery as on your other threads ?

7AH=7000mA/Hr

As you are charging at the rate of 100mA, it would take 7000mA/100mA=70 hours to fully charge the battery when it is empty. Since you spent 3 days 5-6 hous/day that would give 18 hours. I would say that is quite normal if the battery is not really very hungry.

Allen

tonir

Joined Aug 9, 2012
hi allen,

thanks for your reply. Though i have set the output current limit of my voltage regulator to 400mA the battery draws b/w 80mA-100mA whether it is full or empty.

When the battery is empty, should it not draw more current? and as it nears full charge the current drawn should reduce isn't it?

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I am sorry I didnt follow your previous threads closely, so I dont know how is your final charger looked like.

What I can think of are :

1. Does your charger has the voltage capable to push 400mA into the battery?
2. Is your transformer powerful enough to deliver enough current through the regulator.
3. Is your battery in good condition (not expired)?

May be you should provide the old links to your other threads which dealt with the same topic. So people here can refer to them easily without asking you for more details.....:rolleyes::confused:

Allen

Last edited:

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
hi allen,

thanks for your reply. Though i have set the output current limit of my voltage regulator to 400mA the battery draws b/w 80mA-100mA whether it is full or empty.

When the battery is empty, should it not draw more current? and as it nears full charge the current drawn should reduce isn't it?
Post the schematic of your charger.