Battery charger with parallel load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zfensler

Joined May 28, 2014
Hello, I'm trying to design a circuit that has a battery charger that is powered from an AC regulator , has a constant load of around 4 amps, as well as an 8 amp load that will only last for approx. 1-5 seconds.

The Ac regulator can be adjusted from 12V to 14V with avg frequency 150hz, the battery is a 12v 5 ah lead acid battery.

My goal is a very minimal design, nothing too fancy. I was thinking a simple diode would do the job, and maybe fine tune the ac regulator voltage to output (after the diode) somewhere near 12.5-13.0 volts constantly charging the battery.

Will the load pull current from both the rectified source and the dc battery?
In that case do I need a high current diode? I think I have some 3 amp diodes somewhere but nothing that large. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I drew a simple schematic of it below.

Attachments

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Sounds like a high wire act with a short ballance pole. Diode not needed as charger is always on. Using a sense resistor of say 1/10 Ω, measure battery current with charger at about 12 V. Battery current should decrease as charger is increased, when battery current reverses and battery is now charging, stop increasing when I is about 60 mA. Battery stands a chance of either under charging or over charging and is needed only to supply intermittant 8 A that we presume that charger cannot supply.

Zfensler

Joined May 28, 2014
I was only thinking I needed a diode because my ac signal acts as the charger. There is no charging circuit, just a raw 12-14 volt regulated signal. And yes you are correct, I'm adding an 8 amp horn to my moped, and figured I would just gut out all the old wiring and convert the whole thing to dc.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
If the AC is isolater from the DC, I would use a full wave bridge rectifier. Try to keep battery at about 13.6V while running.

Zfensler

Joined May 28, 2014
I think the ac reg is capable of being isolated. My only concern is the load trying to pull amps from the charger as well as the battery. Will it pull most of the amps from the battery? Or do i need high amperage diodes.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Bridge rectifier should be rated at least 5 A RMS & 50 V. The battery acts as a large capacitor, with load drawing from AC & battery, with AC beeing dominet so that battery stays charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.