Battery Charger Design

Alex.T

Joined May 16, 2012
I'm tinkering with a battery charger project and trying to define the following:

The application has a requirement of having a wide input voltage range, ~90-300VAC to then be stepped down to 12 or 24VDC. I know of many manufacturers who have this sort of set up and I know for a fact that they don't use a transformer. How else could it be done? Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Alex

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
A switching converter that operates from the a wide variation of mains voltage is used which efficiently converts the mains voltage to the desired dc voltage. They do use a transformer for isolation but it is in the high frequency switching loop so the transformer can be much smaller than a transformer operating at the main's frequency.

Last edited:

Alex.T

Joined May 16, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. This is something I'm trying to do for work, it's more of an industrial application so I can't really depend on an ATX power supply. I will keep digging into and learning of these SMPS. If you have more resources, throw them at me :)

Thanks.

Alex.T

Joined May 16, 2012
Anybody mind posting a link to a data sheet for one of these that are AC to DC smps? Can't seem to find any...