Battery Charge Port Protection

trs5

Joined Apr 30, 2014
Hi I'm pretty new to circuits and I have a question about charging a battery for a project.

How do I keep the port from being an open circuit when it is not plugged and being charged?

Will a relay work to engage the port when charging and disengage the port when no charging is applied?

Thanks you for the help.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
How do I keep the port from being an open circuit when it is not plugged and being charged?
Why do you care about the status of an used port?

My battery charger senses a small voltage and won't turn on the charging unless it sees that voltage. This prevents a short from happening when you inadvertently touch the cables together.

trs5

Joined Apr 30, 2014
the port is exposed to the elements so I want to keep it from shorting if any water or material ended up in it.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
Put an output switch on the charger?

Even better, but an on/off switch on the mains power to the charger, so it is not using power when nothing is connected.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The behavior of my store-bought charger sounds like what you need. It would be easy to rig a comparator to control a relay to cut power if the output sees less than, say, 2V. You could even consider a small wall-wart power supply to control the circuit, so that it could cut off AC power as RB suggested

But, why not just buy a proper charger?