Battery cables

superway

Joined Oct 19, 2009
Hello,

My battery bank required 0/4 size of cable, but I don't have that big cables, but I do have 0/1 size. So instead of 0/4 size wire, can I use double 0/1 size to connect to battery bank?

Thanks for help

ken

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
There are certain standards that might not allow paralleling of cables or require certain requirements that must be met.

Being cheap is never a good thing when running power cables....

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
According to the national electrical code
0 AWG (commonly referred to as 1/0) will carry 150 Amps if enclosed/buried,etc... (w/75deg C terminations)
or 230 Amps in free air (w/75 deg C terminations)

If this application is in the US you better follow the NEC and the installation manual for any products you are using.. If not you could be held liable in the event of a fire,etc...

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. The resistance of the cables determines the heating that will happen. The insulation is carefully measured and rated so it will not degrade when used according to the tables that wookie referenced.

Jaguarjoe

Joined Apr 7, 2010
Yes. The resistance of the cables determines the heating that will happen. The insulation is carefully measured and rated so it will not degrade when used according to the tables that wookie referenced.
The degradation of the insulation depends upon the type of insulation. That's not charted here.