Battery Ahr question

washawtaw

Joined Feb 22, 2010
I have a camera that requires a 6 V DC battery. The battery that came with the camera is a 6 V DC 1800 mAhr.

I want to buy a battery that is 6 V DC 4500 mAhr but not sure if it is compatable with the camera.

Does the mAhr rating make a difference and why????

Will the higher amp rating burn my camera electronics???

I understand the I=V/R relationship but can't reason out if the current draw of the camera will be the same regardless of the supply current potential of the battery.

By the way the Ohm's law is all I understand....

If I can use the 6 V DC 4500 mAh rated battery it seems to me that I will get more run time.

ifixit

Joined Nov 20, 2008
If I can use the 6 V DC 4500 mAh rated battery it seems to me that I will get more run time.
Yes. In theory the run time should be extended by 4500/1800=2.5 times. In practice it will likely be less. I have done this myself with AA size rechargables, 1800mAh to 2500mAh at 1.2V.

You could check with the camera manufacturer to be sure.

Good Luck

cjdelphi

Joined Mar 26, 2009
Providing the battery fits, the more amps the more runtime you get, imagine two people one person holds 100 pieces of candy, the other holds 200 pieces, if each person can supply 1 piece per minute, the person with 200 pieces will be able to supply 200 minutes worth while the other can only supply 100 minutes worth before running out.... exactly the same as your batteries, providing the voltage is the same then all is good.