bathtub ?

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
OK , I have an old bathtub and it would be to hard to remove/replace so I thought I could refurbish it. What I want to do is change the color to white from yellow.

This link http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-refinish-a-bathtub/index.html

These are the supplies you need the site said
http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-refinish-a-bathtub/materials-and-tools/index.html

My question is how hard will this be (doesn't look to hard by the directions given )

Also what safety precautions should I take (like should I get a mask if so what one ,...etc)

Also for the sandpaper should I just get sandpaper or do I need a special belt sander ,...etc

If anybody knows how to do it and thinks it is something a handy type of person could do ....please instructed because this would save me alot of money.

Thanks

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
An orbital palm sander will make your task loads easier.

You will want to use a 440 grit or finer for this type of job. Also, epoxy paint is very easy to work with, just remember PREPARE. Tape off everything you do not want painted. I would do this PRIOR to the sanding stage.

After you get a nice DULL finish, wipe down with a very lightly damp lint free cloth. This will remove the old colors dust, promoting adhesion of the paint.

Make sure you don't skimp on the brush. Your finish will depend on it. Make sure your brush is for epoxy paint. The 50cent chip brushes won't cut it here.

I have a DeWalt palm sander with a velcro loop padded base that allows me to attach a variety of things besides sandpaper. So, after your paint has cured fully, you can BUFF with a orbital buffing pad for the sander. Your tub will look like glass.

Last edited:

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Also what safety precautions should I take (like should I get a mask if so what one ,...etc)
I don't know how old your tub is, but many old ones used lead paint. You may want to test the tub to see if the old paint is lead-based. Obviously, if it is lead based, extra precautions are needed if you are going to sand it.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
good point. If no lead is involved, a standard nuisance dust mask will do. If lead is involved, you have a long project ahead of you.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
I don't know how old your tub is, but many old ones used lead paint. You may want to test the tub to see if the old paint is lead-based. Obviously, if it is lead based, extra precautions are needed if you are going to sand it.
If it is lead based (I think it will be since it was built in 1970ish era sp rather old house)

What precautions should I take apart from the obvious open windows ,...etc

What type of mask should I get that will protect me from the fumes and can I pick it up at home depot?

Also let me see if I got the steps down
first clean the tub with abrasive cleanser using an abrasive pad.
once the tub is clean tape all things that you don't want paint to have on it , painters tape ,....etc
Next use wet sand paper ,...etc on the tub
Next mix 50% white paint with 50% epoxy and paint on the tub use one way strokes (put 2 or more coats a few hours apart) <--(from wall painting I usually wait a 1/2 a day or a day each coat)
Next if need do some Caulk around the tub.
If I am missing anything please let me know before I being

Also how many coats should you put down and how thick the coats should be ?
I am really good at painting walls and know that the preparation is 90% of the job when it comes to walls. I am just curious how different it is doing the tub then walls other then the fact that I am using epoxy mixed in my paint.
Seems almost the same procedure...

Also when sanding must you sand all old paint off or is this step just to smooth the tub like in doing wall painting

Also if you can use roller is their special purpose ones for the tub or can you just use really good wall painting rollers
Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
First rule, lead or not, don't breath the dust. The kind of damage this causes always takes a long time to manifest, in the time frame of 20 years or so.

I've always felt the dangers of lead were overstated, but I still wouldn't want kids exposed to it.

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well , Here is the tub picture I think it is cast iron.

Also is my pervious post general procedure correct in doing this project?

Also I was told by some one they have a kit for doing it
called HaLMax sprayhit $46 white , coverup , hat ,booties , respirators with extra filters. Would this be a better option then the links directions...

Seems the link directions doesn't say anything about respirators ,..etc
Is these kits just if you have lead based tubs? If so and I don't have a lead based tub then what is the best way to do this kit or link???

Take a look at the tub

Attachments

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If it is cast iron (i.e., magnetic) and the porcelain is in good shape, I would live with the color. A yellow tub is not nearly as bad a one you have messed up with an acrylic or epoxy DIY coating.

John

Mathematics!

Joined Jul 21, 2008
Well I still want to do it regardless.

I just want to know if I should use the kit or the link directions???

How much expoxy should I get and is their any special paint or can I use a sherman and williams white gloss paint and mix half of this with half epoxy???

How long after mixing until I can use it for painting on the tub?

As for the tub from the picture does anybody know if it is lead based or not? If so please tell me... also curious how I can determine this???

Thanks

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How much expoxy should I get and is their any special paint or can I use a sherman and williams white gloss paint and mix half of this with half epoxy???
Where did you get that (bolded) idea? To paraphrase one of our moderators, just because two things can be mixed together doesn't mean they should be mixed.

Do you own this home or are you leasing it?

John

steveb

Joined Jul 3, 2008
Well I still want to do it regardless.
I have a tub that looks identical to yours. It is the same color and shape. I had a bathtub liner put in (company called bathfitters). It looks brand new and is white now. The company is expensive, but maybe you can purchase one of these liners on your own.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Well , Here is the tub picture I think it is cast iron.

Also is my pervious post general procedure correct in doing this project?

Also I was told by some one they have a kit for doing it
called HaLMax sprayhit $46 white , coverup , hat ,booties , respirators with extra filters. Would this be a better option then the links directions...

Seems the link directions doesn't say anything about respirators ,..etc
Is these kits just if you have lead based tubs? If so and I don't have a lead based tub then what is the best way to do this kit or link???

Take a look at the tub
Sheesh, that could be my tub, except for the modern faucet controls.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Speak to the manager at the Sherman Williams or Duron. Tell them your project. The two companies merged, so either will give you the same products. They have an industrial coatings area that will have information on whatever you like. This is not a new idea, and these companies have been dealing with it for years.

As for the mixing ratios. That will be different for each and every coating. Not only by manufacturer buy formulation. You will have to choose a product then follow the data sheets..Just like electronics. Like voltage and current, durability and sheen will change with additives and # of coats. If you use the wrong products, you will be sliding all over. Very dangerous. Now if you mix a latex with that, at the wrong ratio, it will deteriorate much to quickly.