Bass questions

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
Hello there!!

I am planning to tell my parents to buy me a bass. I was wondering whether it will be worthy or not without any kind of amp. I will only be playing with it in my room, so it does not need to be so loud.

And will I be buying an acoustic one or electric?
Can I manage one(I dont care if it is a bullshit one or not) within $20? I dont want a secondhand one. And if I dont use any amp, what kind of sound am I suppose to get? Does the amp only amplifies it or does it do something to the frequency as well??

Thanks!!

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
Acoustic/electric depends on what music you are planning to play .
Judging by your posts/writing I can tell that you are no older than 14-15 so I suggest getting an electric bass.

Electric bass without an amplifier is useless , don't even try it because it won't be fun to play or even practice .

You could make a bass amplifier , there are many schematics available online .
Your problem wouldn't be the electronics(you can even get ready amplifier Ic's) but the cabinet itself .
If you are feeling DIY and want to build it yourself out of wood and buying a low freq speaker and installing it in the cabinet then there are many tutorials on how to do that online & forums which deal with specifically that kind of stuff.

Nevertheless , I suggest buying a ready bass amplifier if you haven't done that kind of thing yourself in the past and don't have good tools for it.

Bass amplifier will just amplify , higher end amps will have some special features but you don't need them for now.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If you have never played bass before you need an electric bass and a bass amp.
$20 will not get you either.

A good solution is to get a bass starter package that includes the bass, amp and instructions.

Another possibility is to visit a pawn shop or second hand store.

You will be looking at spending $100 to $200.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I you don't want to bother other people, I think some amps have a headphone output or just get a little jam box to practice with. An acoustic electric bass wouldn't be that loud either, not plugged In.

It lets you struggle without bothering other people as you get better. A guy I jam with has one, it's made by Dean..

http://www.austinbazaar.com/Dean-EAB-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-Guitar-p/dea-eab.htm?gclid=CKyaxY2Q7rkCFSJlMgodhiUACg

I really like bass and guitar, I've been playing now for over 30yrs.

Heres a Bass Amp Package....as suggested above.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/dean-edge-09-bass-and-amp-pack

Good luck.

kv

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have tested/played a Dean acoustic bass. Just does not compare with an electric bass. The feel of the finger board is very different.
If you want to practice in silence with an electric you can plug headphones into the amp if it has headphone output.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I have tested/played a Dean acoustic bass. Just does not compare with an electric bass. The feel of the finger board is very different.
If you want to practice in silence with an electric you can plug headphones into the amp if it has headphone output.
When we are camping, we play and he just plugs in and plays low, acoustics can't compete. He's got a nice Rickenbacker, when he plays with the band.

Although, my Taylor is pretty loud compared to most guitars. I picked up a little practice acoustic Dean amp for the Taylor not a bad price like $100 2 channels, one for mic or a second guitar. Hardly use it.

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
"I am planning to tell my parents to buy me a bass. I was wondering whether it will be worthy or not without any kind of amp. I will only be playing with it in my room, so it does not need to be so loud."

First of all, NEVER tell your parents to buy you anything.:mad:
With that kind of spoiled attitude, you won't get very far in life, especially when it comes to the dedication of playing/learning an instrument.

Will you also tell them to do the hard work necessary of learning, or cleaning, your bass?:rolleyes: Do you also make them pick up your dirty underwear and socks?

Another thing, from personal experience; do not buy the bass/amp combos.

Every single student I had, wanted a real bass or guitar, by their second or third lesson.
99% of those amps are pretty junky.
Wait till you can (EARN) enough money to get a good guitar, you won't regret it.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I guess I should have spelled it out. Still, please don't perform knee-jerk reactions when something pushes your button.

Even if he hasn't declared it, I know that the OP isn't a native English speaker. You know very well that AAC is an international forum, so a bit of miscommunication is to be expected. Thoughts get altered when typed, and words get distorted in translation. Inquire the OP about his intentions instead of lashing at him.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I guess I should have spelled it out. Still, please don't perform knee-jerk reactions when something pushes your button.

Even if he hasn't declared it, I know that the OP isn't a native English speaker. You know very well that AAC is an international forum, so a bit of miscommunication is to be expected. Thoughts get altered when typed, and words get distorted in translation. Inquire the OP about his intentions instead of lashing at him.
I really have never thought about it? Sometimes you have to hit me, with a wrench.

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013
First of all, NEVER tell your parents to buy you anything.:mad:
With that kind of spoiled attitude, you won't get very far in life, especially when it comes to the dedication of playing/learning an instrument.

Will you also tell them to do the hard work necessary of learning, or cleaning, your bass?:rolleyes: Do you also make them pick up your dirty underwear and socks?

Another thing, from personal experience; do not buy the bass/amp combos.
Firstly, I am not spoiled, or I believe I am not. Why can't I tel my parents to buy me a bass. I am not telling them to do something bad, you know. And by the way, They told me they would give whatever I wanted if I stood first in entire school(class 7, I mean). I stood first and can't I even ask this as a gift??

I am not allowed to go to the roof alone, let alone "out of the house." I won't really tell my parents to "to do the hard work necessary of learning, or cleaning, your bass" or "pick up your dirty underwear and socks."

Anyways, do you mean I need to buy an acoustic one? This is not my profession-playing bass-I mean. I wont mind buying I junk as long as it works and has low price.

MMH

Joined Feb 8, 2013

Thanks, I am not really a native English speaker.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
A story out of the old Testament (Bible). Humans once spoke the same language, everywhere. In their pride they built a great tower, The Tower of Babel, which offended God. So She separated mankind, giving them different tongues (languages) so one could not understand the other.

A parable.

It is also the root of the English word babel, to talk nonsense.

Shagas

Joined May 13, 2013
The reason why I do not suggest an acoustic bass is because you are still too young to appreciate the details of acoustic sound . No offense , I was 14 nine years ago and I also played guitar so I'm telling you from experience .