Basic treadmill problem and need help?

rlp2955

Joined May 13, 2014
Hi all,
I noticed this forum has addressed problems with treadmill motors in the past so I thought I would post my issue and see if anyone can help. I know very little to nothing about circuits/electronics so bear with me.

I have a NordicTrack C2300 treadmill that is about 10 years old but maintained well. Recently, the motor controller died on it after a hard run so I ordered another one and installed it myself. The good news is that everything looks to be working fine now...except...

when I select any speed on the console, the "speed" display will show that speed for exactly 8 seconds and then the display goes back to 0.0mph (even though the belt continues to run at the proper speed and th). NordicTrack said it was likely the reed switch so I went ahead and ordered that and replaced it. Same problem. The LED light on the motor controller is blinking like it should.

So, again not knowing anything about this stuff...I have no idea what is going on. I had heard that you should be able to waive a magnet in front of the reed switch and see the console react but it stays at 0.0 after the initial 8 seconds. If I put the treadmill into demo mode through the calibration menu, it shows the accurate mph without a problem. It's only when I go back to the regular operational mode that I have this 0.0mph problem. If I disconnect the reed switch from the motor controller, it still does the same thing. How would the treadmill continue to know what speed I pushed if disconnected the reed switch?

Any thoughts on what I can check to narrow down the problem? I thought it might be a loose cable in the console but if that was the case, it wouldn't register the right mph in demo mode?

rustlerrd

Joined May 13, 2014
I assume it is using a ceramic magnet if you have a reed switch. Have you checked that the magnet is still there? I have seen the setting of speed show up and then it switches to measured speed.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
When replacing the motor did you check the magnet to sensor gap" it should be around 1/8th"?.
Does the LED blink in direct rate relative to the motor turns?.
Max.

rlp2955

Joined May 13, 2014
Yes, I have checked to ensure the magnet is still there. On the LED light, it looks like it's blinking at the same rate regardless of how fast the motor is turning. Should the light be blinking faster as I speed up and slower as I slow down? I don't think it is doing that...although the belt does speed up and slow down when I press different speeds.

Thoughts?

rlp2955

Joined May 13, 2014
Yes...I have tried a number of different distances to no avail. I don't think it was the reed switch anyway. I had a volt meter that I applied leads to on my old one and when the magnet went by I got continuity (a beep) which means it was reading the magnet.

rlp2955

Joined May 13, 2014
Well, interestingly enough…had a tech come out this morning and installed a new controller and also checked the connection to the console which was fine. When he left, the Speed reading was working like it should. At lunch I went down to run on it…after 10 mins, the belt slowed down and the Speed reading started jumping around (showing speeds much faster than what the belt was going)…then all of a sudden it went to 0.0mph again. It’s back to what it was doing before…it registers the speed you push initially and then goes back to 0.0mph.

So…so far been through a new reed switch and 2 brand new controllers…so it is obviously not a problem with those parts. Could the this be a power load problem with the motor and the board getting shorted out somehow? I would think if it is getting shorted out the entire board would get shorted out…

I am just worried if it is a power load problem that as soon as I crank this up to something above 7 or 8mph with me running on it that the entire board will get fried like it seemed to do originally.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting I could do with the motor to see if it's a power problem?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It is seemingly becoming a load problem, Its not you is it, with too much pie after dinner? :D

I would check the belt drive for loading and maybe remove the motor for inspection and testing, normally a Automotive battery shows up any maladies, let it run for a while and test in both directions and also check the state of the brushes.
Also maybe try and test with the belt off.
Is the Tech service call under warranty?
Max.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Have you checked that all motor/drive bearings are properly lubricated? Excessive friction somewhere would result in excess motor current, perhaps causing the controller to misinterpret that as a stall condition, i.e.zero speed.

rlp2955

Joined May 13, 2014
I have not checked any of the bearings...the tech is going to come back out on Friday and take a look. If it is was power/load related, I would think the entire board would not work....not just the speed sensor?

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
We don't really know what the effect is of if the motor runs and the sensor works but the motor does not run at the commanded speed?
It may have to see coincidence between commanded and actual?
Just guessing at possibilities. :confused:
Max.