basic relay info required

mathi123

Joined Aug 19, 2013
I am trying to use a relay for the first time.
I bought 2 of these and I want to use them in my circuit (5V control voltage).

However, the relay has 6 pins? The datasheet says it is a Form A, so it should have 4 pins?

The wiring diagram shows that pin 2 and 5 are connected, but should I connect these in my diagram, or are they internally connected?

I find it very confusing that a form A relay has 6 pins, can anybody explain why this is so? (in general)

Attachments

Last edited:

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
Cool Relay. They do that so you have the option to use the pins on the bottom (soldered to board) or the pins on the top (connected via female spade terminalsw/ wire leads)

odinhg

Joined Jul 22, 2009
I don't think it actually does have blade connectors on top. It just looks like that in the drawings, but I think it tries to visualize that the pins are tied together internally :)

cornishlad

Joined Jul 31, 2013
As this is a relatively high current relay for a pcb so 2&5 and 3&6 are connected internally to allow for lower resistance and better soldered connection down to the pcb tracks.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I don't think it actually does have blade connectors on top. It just looks like that in the drawings, but I think it tries to visualize that the pins are tied together internally :)
Sure looked like it to me. Check out the other documents. It gives dimensions for the spades and everything.