Basic motor controller.

gigglewatts

Joined Aug 7, 2013
I am about to start a project on my vintage car. I need to make a custom wiper motor for it.

Basically i need some advice. Maybe a stepper motor or controller plans that i can make to control a stepper motor to +/- 90 degrees?

Is this achievable with a 12v dc motor, i don't just want to reverse the polarity by switching, i want to do it properly. Are there circuit plans this type of thing?

A few suggestions would help alot, i want to learn from this so any DIY is valued. Thank you.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I am about to start a project on my vintage car. I need to make a custom wiper motor for it.

Basically i need some advice. Maybe a stepper motor or controller plans that i can make to control a stepper motor to +/- 90 degrees?

Is this achievable with a 12v dc motor, i don't just want to reverse the polarity by switching, i want to do it properly. Are there circuit plans this type of thing?

A few suggestions would help alot, i want to learn from this so any DIY is valued. Thank you.
Stepper motors are going to be a little complicated for this. 12v motor would definitely work, but I don't understand your gripe with polarity reversal. How would one reverse a motor "properly" ? Mechanically, by gearing? I can assure you that polarity reversal is totally legit, not a kludge.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Have you looked into a modern wiper motor reversing mechanism at the local wreckers?
I would have thought attempting to modify an existing one would be the quickest solution? albeit, a mechanical one!! :rolleyes:
Max.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Back when I was doing them for myself and others, the complete system from a VW bus was the hot set-up. I'd use the whole system and cut the links to make the correct center to center distance on the car in question. But finding a VW bus in a wrecking yard is harder these days.

The one I'm going to use for the 1937 Ford truck I've been building, came from a Jeep Wrangler. Real close to a VW in size and style.

In my 1957 Buick Century, I used the Buick wiper linkage and adapted one of these -
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1791-A&catname=. Took out the original worn out vacuum motor and made a bracket to mount the electric motor in its place.

gigglewatts

Joined Aug 7, 2013
Stepper motors are going to be a little complicated for this. 12v motor would definitely work, but I don't understand your gripe with polarity reversal. How would one reverse a motor "properly" ? Mechanically, by gearing? I can assure you that polarity reversal is totally legit, not a kludge.
First off thanks for the reply. I read somewhere if i were to switch the polarity instantaneously it can stress out the motor, and cause severe heat build up?

I understand the pulse width modulation, and how it sends timed signals to the stepper motor, i originally wanted to build it. But as someone said here already i could use dc motor and then come back here for details on how to control the speed.

I want to learn as well but probably i'll take the easiest route, whatever i decide that may be.

gigglewatts

Joined Aug 7, 2013
Back when I was doing them for myself and others, the complete system from a VW bus was the hot set-up. I'd use the whole system and cut the links to make the correct center to center distance on the car in question. But finding a VW bus in a wrecking yard is harder these days.

The one I'm going to use for the 1937 Ford truck I've been building, came from a Jeep Wrangler. Real close to a VW in size and style.

In my 1957 Buick Century, I used the Buick wiper linkage and adapted one of these -
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=5-1791-A&catname=. Took out the original worn out vacuum motor and made a bracket to mount the electric motor in its place.
It's a shame these motors only post to usps. Thanks for your reply.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
It's a shame these motors only post to usps. Thanks for your reply.
They are available on Ebay and most car/hotrod places sell them. Don't know where you live(should put country in your profile, it helps), but the motors in the link are originally used in heavy equipment, like bulldozers and backhoes or loaders. Try at a sales place for those.