Basic IR Transmitter and Receiver

raines80

Joined Feb 15, 2013
I have a project, but I have no idea where to start.

What I need to do is create a small IR receiver and transmitter in one device. The only thing I need it to do is when one device is pointed at the other it will recognize that it is being target and then be able to record the data.

I want to make this device the size of electronic car door opener and I need it to be line of site (can't go through walls). The device needs to be able to send and receive the signal.

What components will I need and if anyone has a link to a diagram that would be great.

(eventually the model of the device will change dramatically, but I just need the basics so I know what I am working with)

I wanted to thank anyone in advance for the help. I have been on google for 4 hours and feel like I haven't actually learned anything. I am graphic artists by trade.... so most of this is VERY Greek to me.

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I want to make this device the size of electronic car door opener...
That's a challenge, to your otherwise easy project. Just about any DIY solution will be larger. If you could tolerate something as large as, say, an Altoids tin, then it becomes much easier.

Your needs are still a bit vague, though. Do you want this device to react to reflected IR, when it "sees" a returning signal?

raines80

Joined Feb 15, 2013
That's a challenge, to your otherwise easy project. Just about any DIY solution will be larger. If you could tolerate something as large as, say, an Altoids tin, then it becomes much easier.

Your needs are still a bit vague, though. Do you want this device to react to reflected IR, when it "sees" a returning signal?
Thank you for the reply. I will try to make it a bit more clear... not great at doing that.

The size doesn't actually matter just yet. I just want a working prototype at the moment.

What the device needs to do is-

1. send out a signal
2.receive a signal from similar device
3.each device needs to have an identifier. something to make each one an individual. (assuming this will be a program)
3. it needs a way of remembering which devices have sent a signal to it and which devices it has sent the signal to.
4. I need to be able to download that information to a computer by usb port.

essentially it will work like a game of tag. you shoot one device with the other and that is a score. I know I am being vague, but I am not familiar enough with the technology involved to say what I want without sounding stupid.