Basic electric tests

Webby

Joined Jun 15, 2008
Hi, when testing current draw my meter is placed in-line with the circuit and when testing for voltage points Iam using my meter across the circuit... if Iam testing a paralel circuit with 2 resistors as long as the circuit is dead should i be able to measure the resistor values individually? across the circuit.

Secondly If the same circuit is used but now in series would i have to remove the individual resistors to measure them (open the circuit) or leave them connected....but to me I would be measuring both resistor values not individual?

bloguetronica

Joined Apr 27, 2007
Hi, when testing current draw my meter is placed in-line with the circuit and when testing for voltage points Iam using my meter across the circuit... if Iam testing a paralel circuit with 2 resistors as long as the circuit is dead should i be able to measure the resistor values individually? across the circuit.
You are not able to measure individual resistors in parallel without disconnecting them since they will share two common nodes. You have to disconnect one terminal of at least one of them, and that is if you are sure that there is no alternate path affecting your measure.

Secondly If the same circuit is used but now in series would i have to remove the individual resistors to measure them (open the circuit) or leave them connected....but to me I would be measuring both resistor values not individual?
Again, it depends on your circuit. You have to make sure that there is no other path between the nodes from where you measure besides the actual resistor you want to measure.