Basic concepts

Alessia

Joined May 16, 2013
Hello! I have become interested in making PCBs and learning a bit about electronics. Although it was fun making my first PCB I am not satisfied with only using other peoples design and remaking them myself. I am trying to gain some knowledge so I will be able to make my own ideas come to life.

I read the "Ohm's Law for Noobies...or The Amp Hour Fallacy" by Bill_Marsden posted on the General Electronics Chat discussion board, and it was awesome! It really made some things click in my brain. To put it simply, the post explained Ohm's Law and how to can be applied by using LEDs as an example.

I would appreciate it if anybody could explain any important concept, that you think I should know, using an example I could experiment with.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Start with the "Vol 1 DC" tab above. It is not as interactive as the forums but feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The next thing after "Ohm's Law" is "Watts Law". It's another 3 letter formula that you will need every day that you're doing electronics design.

ps, Boo hoo. You didn't notice that it was I who wrote that article:(

Bill Marsden added the LED pages to the end of it because they make a perfect example of which parts Ohm's Law works with and which parts it doesn't work with.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The next thing after "Ohm's Law" is "Watts Law". It's another 3 letter formula that you will need every day that you're doing electronics design.

ps, Boo hoo. You didn't notice that it was I who wrote that article:(

Bill Marsden added the LED pages to the end of it because they make a perfect example of which parts Ohm's Law works with and which parts it doesn't work with.
So does that mean you might write an article for the ebook?:p

Last edited:

Alessia

Joined May 16, 2013
Oh my goodness, I am sorry! I didn't even check the top, I just read through the post and saw the bottom "Last edited by..." Since I am too new to the site I cannot edit my posts yet or I would give you the proper credit.

The article was a very interesting, and easy to understand. Thank you for taking the time to write it, and giving me advice on how to proceed. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I haven't considered adding to the ebook,
and I'm not really pouting about getting credit for the Ohm's Law article.
It is just a fun way of thinking that seriously annoys the pedants while letting beginners get a feel for electricity.:D

I don't think that style of writing would go over well in the ebook.