Basic coil help for an idiot

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
ok, I'll read up on inductors I guess. Not sure why I can't have a 22V potential difference moving at 1 amp. The square wave is high? Any clarification would be welcome.
If you apply a square wave voltage to a coil, the current waveform will be of a different shape.
Depending on the relationship between the inductance and resistance of the coil, and the operating frequency, the current waveform will be somewhere between a triangular wave (inductance/resistance >> half period) and an approximate square wave with softened edges (half period >> inductance/resistance).

The only way that both current and voltage can be (near) square waves at the same time is if the coil has negligible inductance compared to its resistance, so that the coil is functionally a resistor - in your case a 22Ω resistor.

I cross post to get more replies. what do you want from me? do you want me to say I'm making a rodin coil or something?
Overunity nonsense threads get locked here for good reason. They go nowhere and solve nothing. There are overunity forums that cater to pseudo science that thrive on Rodin coils and such. What was wrong with those? overunity.com is a doozie, busier than most forums too.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
There are two ways to measure a current with an oscilloscope.

1. The simplest way is to add a resistor in series with the current you are trying to measure, and then divide the voltage shown on the oscilloscope by the resistance to determine the current.

2. A much more expensive way of measuring current is to use a current probe. Current probes are basically a loop that goes around the wire that has the current you want to measure. They inductively couple the current signal for measurement for an oscilloscope.

kenw232

Joined May 18, 2009
1. The simplest way is to add a resistor in series with the current you are trying to measure, and then divide the voltage shown on the oscilloscope by the resistance to determine the current.
In this method the waveform of the current will always mimic the voltage right? Like if the voltage shows a peak then the current is also peaking, I just have to measure it to get the right current value...

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
In a circuit which is purely resistive
Voltage will dictate what current is flowing.

In a circuit with an inductance -
Counter EMF is created as the changing magnetic flux(created by current flow) interacts with the copper wire of the inductor. THIS is the force which counteracts the applied voltage. Not until a 'steady state' magnetic field is achieved will the full current(as decided by the applied voltage and circuit resistance) be allowed to flow. All the flux interactions with the copper wire occur when the magnetic field is building or collapsing, and not when the flux is steady. So the leading and trailing edges of the square wave are rounded off.

Commander#1

Joined Jan 22, 2011
In a circuit with an inductance -
Counter EMF is created as the changing magnetic flux(created by current flow) interacts with the copper wire of the inductor. THIS is the force which counteracts the applied voltage. Not until a 'steady state' magnetic field is achieved will the full current(as decided by the applied voltage and circuit resistance) be allowed to flow. All the flux interactions with the copper wire occur when the magnetic field is building or collapsing, and not when the flux is steady. So the leading and trailing edges of the square wave are rounded off.
I wholeheartedly concur.
kenw232 - this means you will see the voltage BEFORE you see the current - a phenomenon in ALL coils. Both coils and
capacitors will disrupt a square wave tremendously due to their AC resistance (known as "reactance" - XL/XC). What you
are doing is just laboratory work. That's just putting things together to see what happens. Yes, you can learn this way;
but,it is a very slow and very expensive way of doing things. What you are missing is classroom work - the "theory" of
what is going on. Check with the American Radio and Relay League or a nearby Vo/Tech school for assistance and/or
direction. Stay away from the crazies on You Tube and their ilk and you will do just fine. Hope this has been of some
help.

Phil. :)

kenw232

Joined May 18, 2009
I wholeheartedly concur.
kenw232 - this means you will see the voltage BEFORE you see the current - a phenomenon in ALL coils. Both coils and
capacitors will disrupt a square wave tremendously due to their AC resistance (known as "reactance" - XL/XC). What you
are doing is just laboratory work. That's just putting things together to see what happens. Yes, you can learn this way;
but,it is a very slow and very expensive way of doing things. What you are missing is classroom work - the "theory" of
what is going on. Check with the American Radio and Relay League or a nearby Vo/Tech school for assistance and/or
direction. Stay away from the crazies on You Tube and their ilk and you will do just fine. Hope this has been of some
help.
ok, thanks for your post.

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
ok, I'll read up on inductors I guess. Not sure why I can't have a 22V potential difference moving at 1 amp. The square wave is high? Any clarification would be welcome.
In a pure inductor the voltage tells you the rate of change of the current. So if you have a current of 0 and a voltage of 0 and turn on the voltage to 22v you will get a linear rise in current ( there will be one instant in this ramp when the current is 1 amp, an instant only ) Pure inductors are hard to come by ( as are most ideal circuit components, but inductors are particurlarly hard ), so in a real situation a more sophisticated model may be a good idea. I think you question assumed an ideal component.

Last edited: