Barkhausen Criteria

Tera-Scale

Joined Jan 1, 2011
Briefly, the two criteria to be met are that the loop gain to be unity and zero phase shift. Is there any of the two that is the most crucial?

Tera-Scale

Joined Jan 1, 2011
Is it because there is no implementation of a non-linear component such as diode or incandescent bulb? My hw question was: State the Barkhausen criteria. Which of the two criteria is necessary for oscillation and explain why? I did a lot of research and managed to write a good and simple description but in the question it is specifying on one of the criteria :s

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
The question might be seeking to draw out the "subtle" distinction that where the loop gain exceeds unity and the total phase shift is zero then instability is not a necessary outcome.

See this link ....

http://web.mit.edu/klund/www/weblatex/node4.html

The criterion itself states there are two conditions which must be present. When the idea was originally formulated, knowledge of non-linear feedback behavior was poorly (or not at all) understood.

Linear oscillators must be damped oscillators. You can't balance the poles on the imaginary axis in the complex frequency plane.

Steady state oscillators must be nonlinear circuits which means that it is very difficult to derive analytical conditions concerning oscillation (frequency and amplitude). Barkhausens criterion (observation) is just a starting point.

The kernel in our SPICE simulation programs is the iterative solution of a linear circuit in each integration step (the instant small signal model at the instant bias point). If you investigate your oscillator as a time-varying linear circuit i.e. if you study the linearized Jacobian of the differential equation model for your circuit - the instant small signal model - you may study poles and zeros. If the imaginary part of the complex pole-pair is as constant as possible as function of time during the period you may minimize phase noise and harmonics as Hewlett did in his master-thesis from 1939 when he invented the Wien Bridge Oscillator. The real part of the complex pole-pair moves between the half planes of the complex frequency plane (RHP and LHP) so we have an energy balance determining the amplitude.

Last edited:
Concerning:

Hi Lutz,
Thank you so much for your warm welcome.
I am working on Wien Bridge oscillators
as modified multivibrators at the moment.
All the best for the new year 2014 !
ERIK

LvW

Joined Jun 13, 2013
Concerning:

Hi Lutz,
Thank you so much for your warm welcome.
I am working on Wien Bridge oscillators
as modified multivibrators at the moment.
All the best for the new year 2014 !
ERIK
...and I am still investigating some additional requirements to make the Barkhausen criterion a sufficient one.