Barcode scanner

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
Does anybody know if i use a barcode scanner to scan a barcode and connect the scenner with a computer, then will the barcode scanner send all the information about the barcode to the computer? or they will cut some parts of the barcode? like the start and stop charactors?
Thanks !!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
It depends on the scanner. But typically with a wedge type scanner and (for example) code39 the stop and start characters are stripped out by the scanners firmware prior to being dumped into the computer. But they don't have to be. Some scanner companies will write custom firmware,etc.. if needed.

Of course you didn't give anymore details but it is fairly easy to intercept the barcode output with a software wedge and add stop/start characters prior to passing to the computer.

Last edited:

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
Do you know if I want to see the signal on a PC, and I use RS232 to connect the Scanner with the computer, how can i read the signal from RS232? Do i need any software?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
You will need software on the computer to do something with the data from the scanner.

RS-232 is considered legacy, and is not present on newly manufactured computers. You may have to purchase an add-on card in order to get a COM port (RS-232), or else an RS-232 to USB adapter, and then write software to read the data from USB.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No, sorry I do not know off the top of my head.

You might look for freeware or shareware inventory-type programs.

There are many different types of barcodes that are used for different purposes.

You would need the correct software to interpret the barcodes that you are reading.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
First why do you want to see the stop/start characters on your computer?..They are really just for the scanner to know it got all the data. All scanners out of the box will strip them from the data being delivered to the computer.

The easiest way to get a barcode into a computer is with a "PS/2 keyboard wedge" type of scanner. Like these http://www.barcodesinc.com/cats/barcode-scanners/ps2.htm. Connect it to the computer via a simple USB connection/load the included software and it will dump what it scans to any program where you place your cursor. We use a wedge to scan UPS tracking numbers into our ERP system. We simply place the cursor into the field we want to collect the barcode and press the scanner button. And voila the tracking number is collected. It simply removes the chance that someone makes an error when trying to manually type the barcode digits into that field.

You gave very little information about exactly what you are trying to capture so its hard to give anymore information to you. Provide more detail about exactly what you are trying to do and I can lead you down the right path. Right now all I think you need is a wedge scanner. You also didn't mention the symbology of the barcode you are scanning. (Code 39 or 128 or 2D/pdf417/micropdf,etc..) There isn't just a single barcode symbology and you might need a different scanner depending on which one you are trying to read..

chudiandeyu

Joined Oct 26, 2010
First why do you want to see the stop/start characters on your computer?..They are really just for the scanner to know it got all the data. All scanners out of the box will strip them from the data being delivered to the computer.

The easiest way to get a barcode into a computer is with a "PS/2 keyboard wedge" type of scanner. Like these http://www.barcodesinc.com/cats/barcode-scanners/ps2.htm. Connect it to the computer via a simple USB connection/load the included software and it will dump what it scans to any program where you place your cursor. We use a wedge to scan UPS tracking numbers into our ERP system. We simply place the cursor into the field we want to collect the barcode and press the scanner button. And voila the tracking number is collected. It simply removes the chance that someone makes an error when trying to manually type the barcode digits into that field.

You gave very little information about exactly what you are trying to capture so its hard to give anymore information to you. Provide more detail about exactly what you are trying to do and I can lead you down the right path. Right now all I think you need is a wedge scanner. You also didn't mention the symbology of the barcode you are scanning. (Code 39 or 128 or 2D/pdf417/micropdf,etc..) There isn't just a single barcode symbology and you might need a different scanner depending on which one you are trying to read..
Hello mcgyvr
Thank you very much, you are also working on scanning the barcode? I think I am using code 128(By the way, how can i detect what kind of code it is?), I have a scanner similar as yours :) and after i scanned the code I connect the scanned to PC via rs232, then read the information on HyperTerminal. Now I am wondering how to send the signal to the database and compare it? there is another system other people made for me to compare the signal, but sometimes it gives the error signal, and all the numbers shown on the screen are correct, so i am thinking maybe the scanner will cut a part of code before sending it to the computer~ that's why I was asking how can i see the fully information of the barcode.
Also, for example after I scanned a barcode (1785964236) but what shown on the screen is (IC11785964236), what does the IC1 mean?
Thanks!!

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Please post the part number of the barcode scanner you are using.

Also you need to provide more detail about what exactly you are trying to accomplish.
There are many ways to get data into a database. But seeing how I know NOTHING about YOUR database or how it is setup and accessed I can't help until you provide much more detailed information.