Bank account by foreigners

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Hi,i have ever received about 3 emails from unknown people, asking that they want to get in partnership with me. They give a story of how they have problems in their home countries and they can't withdraw money there. So they request me to give my bank account then transfer money to my acc. Of which he/she will look for means to come and collect it in cash.
Now, could there be any effect of of giving out my acc No.to such people?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That sounds like the gentleman from Nigeria who has sent a similar email to just about everybody in the world, trying to get his $20,000,000 transferred out of Nigeria.

A smart person just deletes such stuff.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you lived in America you'd be getting around 3 or more a week. They send millions of these hoping for one to two suckers per mailing. Sadly, someone always falls for it.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Mr. Madoff ran in investment business that promised impossibly high returns. He used new investment money to generate the payouts, but kept a few billion for himself. This is known as a Ponzi scheme, named for the man who invented the scam.

Madoff is serving a sentence of 150 years in prison.

MIRINGU

Joined Mar 18, 2007
Hey....i didn't know all these how they work. Have spent almost 1 1/2hrs on scam - 419 . Am surprised. Thanks alot for the replies.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Actually it was supposed to be other, but then Reagan decided the fund was fair game, and now it goes into the general fund to pay our deficit. The pay as you go is a recent development.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Ahh he's all legit, thats my buddy, Salamjat Hagilli, he's a General of the Nigerian Liberation Force. He really likes Americans and American Culture and he knows how hard the economies been so he's trying to give away $20,000,003,345,324 in good will.

In all seriousness though you can always tell a Nigerian letter by the way they praise god for everything. For some reason they think all Americans are hard core Christian fundies.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I've seen a lot of exceptions to that. One of the themes is a Master Sargent in Iraq who has discovered a large stash of money and is looking for a way to get it to the USA.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Nigeria Is where It all started a little creek that became the Nile,So out of the original 26 people our kin Is just trying to stay In touch and remind us of our duty for greed.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
In all seriousness though you can always tell a Nigerian letter by the way they praise god for everything. For some reason they think all Americans are hard core Christian fundies.
Do you not think it has more to do with the fact that it (attempts to) presents them as "good people"?

Us Brits are also targetted by 419ers and we are an increasingly secular in our beliefs. Ultimately they want you to think they are good people who can be trusted.

Dave

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Related to Dave's comments, I have a son serving in the Peace Corps in Africa. Care packages routinely get robbed in Johannesburg. The Peace Corps office suggested putting all sorts of religious messages on the outside of the box. So far, such packages have made it to him.

The Peace Corps' explanation is that Christian missionaries were a major force in undermining apartheid, and packages with such messages are respected somewhat more by the handlers. Anyway, it works, at least for now. Just an FYI, in case you have relatives there.

John