Backup server

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
Not the Optiplex, the Dimension 8100. Ridiculous thing is it was marketed as an "expandible/upgradeable" PC which never happened or even reasonably could happen. 1.7GHz 1 Meg and I have the chip boards to populate to 2 Meg. Came with XP on a 40 gig HD.
1614531971726.png

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
@SamR, the Optiplex has the same motherboard from what I can see, so 6 of one half dozen of the other. The specs seems identical, just that the cases were probably different...
Or was it called a Dimension 8100 Optiplex? Who knows...

SamR

Joined Mar 19, 2019
No, the Optiplex were compact business-class machines while the Dimension included a full-size tower in its lineup with 6 PCI slots instead of 3 and room for 2 full-sized hard drives. They may have had similar motherboards though except for the 3 more PCI slots. I have another midsize tower 4600 but it doesn't have space for a second hard drive and only 3 PCI slots. I am about to throw in the towel on them. I have a USB connector for external hard drives and both 40 gig hard drives are readable and I could retrieve files from them but neither installed in a computer will boot. They post and start loading files and even one shows the XP splash screen but they won't boot up. Nothing but bad headaches from them. I'm thinking I'll take @Yaakov s advice and use a PI to play around with Linux on and leave the NAS to cloud backup like I already am. Anyway, I gave it good try...

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
I'm thinking I'll take @Yaakov s advice and use a PI to play around with Linux on and leave the NAS to cloud backup like I already am. Anyway, I gave it good try...
You can make a decent, if not high performance NAS on the Pi, if you want. But yes, the RPi is a brilliant little thing, 3, 4, or Zero, it's really fun and amazingly useful.