back ache

mxabeles

Joined Apr 25, 2009
hey there forum,
i've been busy with clients and have had little time for my own work recently.
This means i'm still bent over the soldering table and i'm feeling the burn.
Anyone have good solution to prevent back injury from being keeled over the soldering iron 8 hours a day?

Thanks,
-M

davebee

Joined Oct 22, 2008
I had this problem until I raised the height of my worktable so I could work at it standing up.

For most assembly work, the standing position has been great for my back.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
yeah raise your worktable some, and if sitting when doing it have the workpiece up high enough to where you do not have to "bend" down to look at it.... I, as Davebee has, have my workbench up higher to where I stand when doing PCB assembly work, much more comfortable to work and can get at anything when needed, which I find my movements a little more restricted when sitting....

B. Morse

mxabeles

Joined Apr 25, 2009
thanks for the feedback, everyone. I must say I'm going with KL7AJ on this one tho, its just such an elegant solution. :)

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
Actually, the most convenient method of soldering is in zero-g, so either hire the Vomit Comet or get on the next trip to the ISS.

Seriously, another contributor to the problem is not enough movement. My sister is a PT and has given me lots of comments about this. Get up and move about the room, the more frequent your breaks the better. Stretch. Do isometrics. Every half hour isn't too frequent, although many folks do it every hour or so. Your posture is very important, so you might even want to consult with an expert. PTs are good at this stuff, so don't hesitate to consult with them.

But the real answer was already given. Have you heard Bill Gates complain about back pain from soldering? :p

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
loosewire General Electronics Chat 6