Avtech Mystery Device

Lambda

Joined Feb 28, 2011
I picked this up along with a bunch of junked equipment from Brown university. I had no idea what it was, so I grabbed it.
It's labeled "AVTECH ELECTRO SYSTEMS" and it's model number is AV-1010-PS-PN. A search returns no results. (There is a pdf out there for an AV-1010-B, but it's obviously a completely different device).
It looks like it operates at radio frequencies, and it may be an amplifier. On one end of the thing it has 10 numbered studs. On the opposite end, it's got a single ground stud. On the side of it are 2 transistor-like devices, with no available datasheets.
I tried to take the thing apart, but it's filled with some black, glass-like substance.

So, anybody want to take a crack at what this thing might be?

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
I wrote an email to the manufacturer in Ottawa, let's see what he says.
The transistors seem to be from APEX electronics, is that possible? What's printed on them?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I'd bet money on it being a power supply.

The 1010 in the part number plus the ten numbered posts, along with the 'PS' suffix of the part number pretty much has me convinced.

Lambda

Joined Feb 28, 2011
Transistors are indeed Apex, both identical. I ran all the numbers printed on them, nothing came up. I can't even be sure if they are transistors. that is a pretty common package. In addition to the black glass inside, and in addition to the screws, they are epoxied to the case.

Lambda

Joined Feb 28, 2011
I'd bet money on it being a power supply.

The 1010 in the part number plus the ten numbered posts, along with the 'PS' suffix of the part number pretty much has me convinced.
Good point about the PS, but what about 1010 tips you off? The AV-1010-B is a pulse generator, and of a completely different design.

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
Thinking from left field, since you got if from a university, and the difficulty finding info on model and parts. Is it possible, it is some kind of old prototype?

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
The connections posts indicate the unit was made to distribute the outputs to backplanes into which a large number of circuit boards would have been slide mounted and mated with card edge connectors. Several different models of 1 inch and 2 inch video tape machines I've worked on/operated had such power supplies, and also various other modular type components which all had identical connection styles. The paper pushers considered it good design, and made a point of never asking the techs what they thought of the matter. :)

praondevou

Joined Jul 9, 2011
answer from AVTECH:
"That is a part of the long-obsolete AV-1010-C pulse generator (which has
been replaced with the AV-1010-B model). It is a high-voltage DC power
supply, as users on your forum have suggested.

It is not meant to be used alone. We do not have end-user documentation
available for it. I'm not sure why someone would remove it from a pulse
generator, but that suggests it is not functional. Our older pulse
generators had fewer protective circuits than they do now, so the
likelihood of damaging the internal power supplies was higher then.

I'm afraid it isn't a useful item on its own."