AVR ISP Programmer

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
Hi to all ,

Need help with AVR ISP systems.
Plz allow me to inform that Its my first time using AVR ISP's (newbee) .
As i am using a Laptop , its lacks an LPT port or a Com port , which is very much required to program Atmel chips i suppose.

I am planing to use either one of the following ,

1) USB to DB9/DB25 Adapter

2) USB AVR ISP.

Any kind of help/advise/recommendations will be deeply appreciated.

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
If you plan on getting into AVRs seriously, get a USB ISP programmer. If you can spend the money buy the official programmer, the AVR ISP MKII. If you want to go cheap, Sparkfun, Pololu and Adafruit sell budget USB programmers.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
If you plan on getting into AVRs seriously, get a USB ISP programmer. If you can spend the money buy the official programmer, the AVR ISP MKII. If you want to go cheap, Sparkfun, Pololu and Adafruit sell budget USB programmers.
Hello,

Thank you for your Reply ,
Noted your points.
Can i get Detailed instructions on how to use an USB ISP programmer, I mean what is to be done with the ISP header cable?

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
One main reason is that the MKII is constantly updated to handle the latest AVR devices. Any budget programmers can handle the standard 8-bit megaAVR/tinyAVR line, however the MKII can handle a lot more. For example, when the XMEGAs were released the firmware of the MKII was updated for PDA programming of the XMEGA.

lubnaan90

Joined Jan 13, 2010
One main reason is that the MKII is constantly updated to handle the latest AVR devices. Any budget programmers can handle the standard 8-bit megaAVR/tinyAVR line, however the MKII can handle a lot more. For example, when the XMEGAs were released the firmware of the MKII was updated for PDA programming of the XMEGA.

Is it ok to use AVR 910 USB.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
If you have the money I would go for a USB programmer. The best thing is to get a programmer that is supported by the chip manufacturer. So you can receive firmware updates and support for new MCUs