Average Joe, Needs Help!

Spludge

Joined Mar 5, 2011
I'm working on a project for LED lights hooked up in sync to music.
I need some info on how to:

String X amount of LED's together(synced together with music)

How / where to make / buy an amplifyer that would allow me to turn down the mp3 player and still have powerfully blinking LED's.

And ideally this would all be able to be plugged into a system with an auxiliary jack.

I have very basic knowledge of electrical circuits. And could use any and all help regarding this.
I am looking for either a schematic on how to wire everything together or separate tutorials on both with directions how to connect the two.

I've followed this tutorial, and have had no problem with this set up. http://www.instructables.com/id/Music-LED-Light-Box/

Please help me! :)

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
If you search for "sound to light" or "audio spectrum analyzer" or "color organ" you'll find some good information.

Spludge

Joined Mar 5, 2011
Thanks guys for your help, but you guys are truly overestimating my knowledge, Bill, can you give me a direct link to the specific section i would need please? thanks.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

Chapter 12 - Special Effects

Flickering LEDs (Fire!)

Figure 12.4B is for power applications, but you may not need much power.

Figure 12.4A can do a couple of LEDs. It may need modification if the signal from the MP3 player is too low.

These are basic circuits. If you want a color organ, where the frequencies within the music trigger specific LEDs you need to duplicate this circuitry for each range and filters.

If this is the case Google "color organ" or "colour organ", not to exclude our friends over the pond.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Not bad. wonder if there is a text site to go with that? I could be talked into designing a PCB for a project like that.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Have you seen this: .....
Like the original circuit on Aaron Cake's site (that had errors and used odd ICs), this kit messes up the multiple feedback bandpass filters by feeding them from a pot instead of from the very low output impedance of an opamp.

Spludge

Joined Mar 5, 2011
yeah i've seen that video before.
and thanks a ton bill!
one thing is i dont need the 3 different channels. just the one for the low sounds. (bass)