Automotive relay with time delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

awdowns

Joined Apr 7, 2010
I have a project that I would like to do with my car, but I am not exactly sure how to go about it. There is a device called a turbo timer that allows your car to keep running for a set period of time without the key in the ignition. Im trying to make one out of my rear defroster switch and would like to add in a 2nd timed relay for a shorter delay.

I plan on disconnecting the rear defroster completely and running the power out from the defroster relay to my ignition on relay to keep the car running for about 10 min. But the part I am trying to figure out is putting a 2nd time delay relay with a shorter time (2-3 min) and be able to switch between them with a toggle switch. I basically know how to run everything, but I need help with the relay and toggle switch connection.

So basically how I want the set up to work is; with the car on and running, select the toggle switch to either turn on the long delay, or the short delay. Then push the defroster switch to engage power to the selected relay, that will allow me to remove my key and keep the car running for either 2 or 10 min and shut off when the power is cut off by the timer.

Help with this will be greatly appreciated!

-Steve

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
For reasons of safety and differing regional regulations, we do not give assistance or advice on automotive modifications.

If it fails and the engine does not shut down....
You get out and lock the car, but the selector if not all the way in park. What do you do with the car locked and idling along in reverse?

Status
Not open for further replies.