Automotive 12vdc powering microcontroller circuit

Spragmatic

Joined Mar 30, 2010
Hello-

I have designed and built a Parallax SX28 microcontrolled circuit to drive a relay board for a project I'm doing. I've got everything installed and working in the truck. The SX28 protoboard I'm using has a voltage regulator circuit that suggests 6-9vdc input (specs say 6-30vdc). With that being said I hooked directly to the ignition source in the truck. It works, but at higher voltages(13-14.5vdc) I get some random glitches. I want to build a 9vdc(using a L7809CV) regulated power supply to power the board with constant voltage. Current is at 300ma max when circuit is fully loaded.

My questions are--

1- What is the best way to build the voltage regulator circuit?

2- Should I or can I use a diode bridge on the DC input voltage?

3- Do I just use the diagram that is in the L7809CV datasheet?

Thanks!!
Greg

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
1 -- refer to data sheet, and use good lot of cap on input, perhaps add a ferrite bead if noise is really high frequency.
2-- no diode bridge, one diode if you fear you will connect your circuit backwards.
3 -- pertty much, but read the text as well.

Spragmatic

Joined Mar 30, 2010
SgtWookie-

What kind of filtering would you suggest? I haven't really ever had to add filtering to my projects. Thanks!!
Greg

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
This works pretty well in simulation:

V1 and V2 are simulations of a range of input voltages you might see, but with a lot of noise on it.

L1 and L2 represent inductors that you can find at any Radio Shack; catalog number 273-102 "RF Choke"

The 5 Ohm resistor really knocks down the noise quite a bit. It will also take some of the heat dissipation load away from your regulator. It should be rated for at least 1W. You could use a couple of 10 Ohm resistors wired in parallel to get 5 Ohms.

R2 simply represents your 300mA load.

I used an LM317 in the simulation, as I didn't have a 7809 regulator model available.

Attachments

Spragmatic

Joined Mar 30, 2010
Great Service SgtWookie!! I'm going to give this a shot and see how it does. Thanks for the quick response. I'll let you know how it works out.

Greg

Spragmatic

Joined Mar 30, 2010
SgtWookie-

I have finally built the circuit and I have a question. Do I connect the ground side of my load between R3 and R4 in the above schematic? Thanks!!

Greg

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Your load takes the place of R2.

All of the ground symbols in the schematic are connected together, and would be connected to the negative (ground) terminal of your vehicle's electrical system.

If you are using a 7809, then R3 and R4 would not be used, and the GND terminal of the 7809 would be connected to ground. If you were using an LM317, then you would need R3 and R4 connected as shown.

pilko

Joined Dec 8, 2008
SgtWookie,
Do you have any objection to me showing your diagram/simmulation to the Picaxe forum. Some of thier members run into problems with Picaxe automative applications and may benefit from your expertise.

Thanks

pilko

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I don't mind a bit.

Please reference "AllaboutCircuits.com" when you post it.

Note that it is not an ideal solution; but it will help quite a bit to reduce transient spikes using commonly available components.