Automatic voltage regulator for a tap transformer

ssembo

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Hello guys, i want to design an electronic circuit to regulate 132kV nominal primary voltage with range +/-1.31% and output a 33kV. This has to done using a tap changer motor. I want to develop a circuit that can control this motor by changing the direction of the motor. Am not good at electronics. thanks

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
33,000 Volts

:eek:

I know electronics well enough to know I wouldn't get within 10 feet of that voltage. If you know very little, I would suggest you forgoe the possible electrocution and let someone who is familiar with that kind of power circuit do the work.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
Is this just a design project? Ive seen 33Kv transformers years ago when i worked for ETSA that were auto taping on the primary for voltage regulation, these were huge!

ssembo

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Hello, i request you to help me on making an automatic voltage regulator for a tap transformer. 3 phase, 20MVA, 132kV being on nominal tap 4 and a constant output of 33kV. the range of input voltages is +/-1.31% for the 17 tap positions. need to make a voltage regulator to control the motor driven variac that changes the taps.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Since these threads were on the same topic, I have merged them.

I am not a power engineering type, but I thought a variac was an autotransformer.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Search Google for High voltage workers, and try to find a forum with people who work with this type of equipment, the equipment is common enough, but this is a small group of people that work with and understand the procedures. I may be wrong, but even with our large membership, I doubt we have more than 2 or 3 here, who have ever worked with it, and zero is more likely in my opinion. Finding one of them online at the right time to help. ??

Search google somemore, its out there.

ssembo

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Guys usually, the 132/33kV voltage exists at transmission substations...atleast thats what happens here. This high voltage is usually steped down to 110V and this is what is used for control. The variac is a 3 phase synchronous motor and either moves up or down the taps depending on the input voltage. The circuit i want to design is to detect a change in secondary voltage of the transformer and make sure that it changes the taps to maintain the secondary at 33kV.

Please, don't loose hope. Lets do this togethr=er cause i need your help.

Thanks

Colin

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
33,000 Volts

:eek:

I know electronics well enough to know I wouldn't get within 10 feet of that voltage. If you know very little, I would suggest you forgoe the possible electrocution and let someone who is familiar with that kind of power circuit do the work.

Reminds me of the time my boss asked me to connect a sensor into a campus substation. Big fence, big red signs with lightening bolts on them. You could just hear the thing humming (and before you ask I did not recognize the song :) ). I took one look at him and told him that he could go hook the thing up. :)

This post sounds suspiciously like homework to me. Something that won't be built just designed.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
need to make a voltage regulator to control the motor driven variac that changes the taps.
There are two issues here.

1. Detecting secondary voltage against setpoint and issues tap change command(up/down) to hold the secondary voltage at the required level.

2. Tap change motor control circuit via relays and limit switches such that the command in step 1 can be carried out.

The whole set up is known as the "Automatic Tap changer". Which part of the above would you like to know?

I stressed "know" because you should not be building one if you haven't got the required knowledge to do so.

On load tap changing operation is a high energy process and causes stress on the apparatus so is only carried out unless it is absolutely necessory.

ssembo

Joined Dec 13, 2010

1. Detecting secondary voltage against setpoint and issues tap change command(up/down) to hold the secondary voltage at the required level.

2. Tap change motor control circuit via relays and limit switches such that the command in step 1 can be carried out.

The whole set up is known as the "Automatic Tap changer". Which part of the above would you like to know?

I stressed "know" because you should not be building one if you haven't got the required knowledge to do so.

On load tap changing operation is a high energy process and causes stress on the apparatus so is only carried out unless it is absolutely necessory.
i would like to know the first and the bit of relay. Thanks for the hope given.

Colin

ssembo

Joined Dec 13, 2010

i would like to know about the first and the bit of relay. Thanks for the hope given.

Colin

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
i would like to know about the first and the bit of relay. Thanks for the hope given.

Colin
The tap changer relay is a very complex relay which take in three phase voltage and current signals. It then works out the power factor and MVA loading of the transformer. It also check if the present voltage is stable and not a sudden dip or rise due to loading change.

Only then it can decide if a tap changing operation is required to maintain the secondary line voltage.

Those relays are expensive and come from reputable manufacturers. Never know of any case of people/utility of using one build as DIY on transformers in the MVA range.

The following one will give you some indication of what functions are required if you try to build one.

tap changer relay

Last edited:

ssembo

Joined Dec 13, 2010
This seems to be a rather complicated idea, can you guys help me with design project ideas? I really need a project for my final year, deadline way too near. I am pursuing a degree in electrical engineering. I would like something to deal with power systems control or equipment. Thanks