automatic mail notification system(by sending email)

alicia

Joined Oct 6, 2008
My whole project is to detect documents in pigeonholes and notify the user when documents available using email. I now doing the interfacing part and i found one similar project but they are using php, apache and MySQL, another new things to me, so are there any other methods and references for me to refer? Any recommended website? I need to explore myself more... thanks!!!

I have another doubt on how to connect a sensing circuit to the laptop, what is needed and what i need to know? Or if PIC is used, how to connect it to laptop? I mean how to interface it?

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
How many devices are you making?

If you are only doing one or two I would get a uC development board with
a USB port built in. There are a variety of simple low-cost development kits
available.

(* jcl *)

alicia

Joined Oct 6, 2008
I have buy one 16F877 but do laptop got any serial port? Coz so far i know the obvious seem serial port in PC is RS-232. If i choose to use serial port, do u have more information for me to refer? I nid to know how to monitor the incoming signal from PIC and producing signal to the localhost to send the email. If using serial port, i know got serial port monitor program. But if i used USB, how to monitor?
Thanks for the above replies!!!

alicia

Joined Oct 6, 2008
If using serial port through PC, i know got serial port monitor program. But if i used USB port, how to monitor the signal that send to the laptop?

If i connect my sensing circuit to the serial port and use the serial-to-usb converter to link the circuit to the laptop, will it works? And how am i going to monitor the signal from the USB port, so that i can send the email using php and smtp, database after detecting the signal? Or, i can actually done the interfacing using VGA port?

Hope suggestions will be given............... Thanks!!!

Last edited:

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
I apologize for my error. I was attempting to merge threads and accidentally merged posts.

By way of help... have you considered using an RS232 to USB converter?

alicia

Joined Oct 6, 2008
Is ok.

If i choose to use the converter, can i monitor the data send to laptop using serial port monitor like commspy since it is still been converted to USB not serial port anymore?

Or it is better for me just to the PIC 18Fxxx with USB option?

Coz my major doubt now is how to monitor the data send to the laptop, so that later it will based on the database, MySQL , sending email to the correct user?

Plz give me some idea...