Automatic Light dimmer

fromalragass

Joined May 18, 2010
Hello,

I am trying to work on a project in my garage. i have some very strong lights in my garage and i need to design a circuit that when i get into the garage, it senses that there is someone in there and that the lights get dimmed. could you please help me get started or if you know any circuit that would do the job.

Thank you much

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
How about electronics?
How well taught are you in circuits and trouble shooting, and also about fiddling with high voltages

fromalragass

Joined May 18, 2010
I've had a class at the university junior level in electronics. i liked it. and i might've stated my problem a bit incorrectly. what i am trying to do is that when the lights in the garage sense the light of my car, i need the garage light to be dimmed. if it is a person walking in the garage, then the light should stay the way they are. I hope that makes it clear.
Thanks.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
that is rather complicated.
U know ...there is light direction, human detection,.
which adds up to ..motion sensors and IR sensors and may be sonic sensors too.
are u game?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I mean are u up to it.
Building a circuit like this might take time to make it perfect.

by the way ..
would u mind updating ur profile, try adding ur location

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK then..
First let's see what u have to begin with.
What types of lights do you have in the garage and how are they mounted,
how big is ur garage and how and from where u get into the garage.
u or the car or whatever...
To make something u have to have a mental picture. Visualize how the light should react, when they should react and how long they should stay on.
can you do that.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
OK dimming bulbs require triacs
which means you have to fiddle with the mains voltage.
are u confident enuf to do this.
u know this could be dangerous.

and any thing that involve mains voltage are not practiced here without experience or knowledge on how to handle them.
To do this u need to tell us what you know about mains voltage

fromalragass

Joined May 18, 2010
i dont really know much about main voltage but i want at least to be able to draw a schematic for the required circuit and simulate it.

fromalragass

Joined May 18, 2010
in order to make something you need to be able to simulate it first and know how exactly it works. Then go ahead and make it. am i wrong?

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hmm..u made a point there.

But I am hesitant in helping you since it involves mains voltage.
Since you haven't started it I cannot suggest ways before knowing that I won't kill you over the net. I cannot have that on my head.
So please tell me how well you are handling mains voltage.

The things you tell me or if you already have done, tell me...this will make me decide that you are capable of handling mains voltage without electrocuting ur self.
I need more information...
nobody in this forum will help you unless you tell us this.
This is for your safety.

we have to be cautious on what we advice. I am confident and experienced around high voltage but I donno you, and i donno what you know of these things.

The more you tell us will help you to get this project going.