Auto Detect Supply with P-channel FET

nethanger1

Joined Aug 19, 2013
I have a battery pack (12V) and a brick supply (12V) and I want to use a P-channel FET to switch between the two and create feedback to a uC in the process. How would I go about doing that?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
How about the current of two 12V?

What's the load of two 12V? (current of load?)

What do you mean of feedback to a uC, does it means that to indicate which 12V is using?

If you want to switch between two 12V then you should using two P channel not only one.

Last edited:

nethanger1

Joined Aug 19, 2013
So V1 is a brick power supply and V2 is a battery. With this input circuit, the p-channel mosfet would be closed when the brick is not plugged in. When the brick is plugged in, the fet opens the battery circuit drawing only from the brick now. The Vin signal goes to a two buck converters, one bucking down to 5V and another bucking down to 7.3V (only when the brick is plugged in).

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
How about using just two diodes? You could monitor the power supply input with a resistor divider before the diode, unplugged = 0 volts.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Then wouldn't I be shorting out the internal battery when I want to open the circuit with the battery connects.
No, because the battery is disconnected from the circuit when the plug is inserted into the jack (which has your external power).

nethanger1

Joined Aug 19, 2013
Ah, okay, I understand. The only jacks I've used previously were for guitar pedals which are used to disconnect the battery when the guitar cable isn't plugged in. Thanks, I'll try it.