audio signal triggered LED

stainlessbrown

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Hi there

I'm looking for a simple circuit to take the output signal from a DAW and send it to a circuit to trigger a red (preferably) LED. The signal source will be the output from a digital metronome. I do not know the exact signal strength, but it would normally be sent to a power amp in order to run it through speakers. The metronome pulse can be adjusted from sounding like an old Pong game to a cowbell, claves' or woodblock. So frequencies (like color organs) is not much of an issue.

I need something capable of upwards of 160 - 180 beats (blinks) per minute.

The purpose for this is I've noticed that a metronome (click track) in the headphones of someone recording tends to compete sonically with what they're placing (especially percussionists) and I think a visual 'cue' would work well

thanks to anyone who can help!

Stainlessbrown
Sacramento

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hello. If the signal outputted by the digital audio workstation is analog (as I assume as can be fed to an audio amplifier) the circuit I would use to make it simple is a LM3915, or LM3916, or LM3914 integrated circuit and select one of its output pins to hook up your LED, or several, depending at what signal strength you want it to come on.

In a kit, this or similar should work for you :
http://www.cpcares.com/CanaKitCorp/CK104.html

stainlessbrown

Joined Feb 21, 2010
Externet

thanks- the kit would be great (not to mention quick and cheap) but I really just need a single LED (the VU meter approach might get confusing)

I'll look at the LM391x

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
For the kit, remove the unwanted leds from the board. For the LM391X, connect only one LED to any chosen output.

There is other kits in that site with a built-in microphone that will trigger the light by ambient sound instead of connected audio.