Audio Multiplexer

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm a sudent, renting accomodation. I have a TV antenna wire running from my bedroom to my lounge that I do not use. I would liek to run a stereo audio source from my bedroom to the lounge via this wire. Is there any easy way to send a stereo signal down it via multiplexing, and have a decoder the other side to convert it back to stereo?

Thanks a lot

Dan

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Sure. The easiest way I can think of, is use 2 old VCRs. ($5 a piece at pawn shops or ask your friends)

you can use the RCA inputs on the first VCR to encode the stereo signal into coax.
Use left and right audio inputs on the vcr.
Then use the coax output to the coax wire running to the lounge.
the 2nd vcr in the lounge, connect the coax to the input.
You will now have your stereo audio signals available on the left and right audio outputs.

Now this will not be amplified. You will need an amp on the lounge end to boost the signal to speakers.

There may be an easier way. But this works. You may need to have the 1st vcr set to AUX IN and the second to AUX out. Depends on the vcr.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I was aiming this to retched Sgt not to the OP..
I get the way he explained the procedure .....
I think i said that in a wrong way... though

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Nanny nanny boo boo.

You have a better idea Riffa? I offered a response that will work, within an hour of the OPS post.

He may already have a vcr or dvd player in both rooms. So??? Whats wrong with that?

He could then easily use the AUX as a stereo audio channel.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Oh jeeeeeeeeeeez!!!. VCR's ...I mean..c'mon..VCR. and audio through a coax.
I know. it won't be simpler than that. But I cannot help giggling

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
retched your solution is genius!!

very simple and does what I asked =]

I dont have any DVD players here but I do have one at home I could get. That leaves one more to get. My soundcard has a digital out port, I dont suppose this is the same encryption as the DVD players?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Your digital out is probably for a monitor. Is this it:

If so no dice. That sends the Red Green and Blue as separate channels.

The dvd is a different beast compared to the analog vcr signal.

I am not too knowledgeable on the different codecs for consumer digital. I believe it is mpeg4 for dvd.

You would need a serial output like usb or firewire or hdmi for the dvd signal. the digital out shown is a parallel port.

Now using RCA or coax on a DVD or VCR will be an analog signal, 1 in the same.

[ed]
What you say now Rifaa? And you got yelled at by the sarge! :p
[/ed]

Attachments

Last edited:

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Nah mate I meant on my soundcard, its got a digital out jack, using s/pdif I think...

I suppose the DVD player is going to want to recieve an encoded audio and video, I think it may not be able to make heads nor tails from this digital signal.

This has got me thinking though, if i could just solder up a connection to connect this coax cable to my digital output from my soundcard, then have an s/pdif decoder in the lounge... is there such thing as an s/pdif decoder? are they expensive? can i make one?

exciting solutions!

dannybeckett

Joined Dec 9, 2009
Very possible - all im doing now is scouring the internet to find the very cheapest way to do it. If DIY is that way, then that will be my next project :)

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Your digital out is probably for a monitor. Is this it:

If so no dice. That sends the Red Green and Blue as separate channels.

The dvd is a different beast compared to the analog vcr signal.

I am not too knowledgeable on the different codecs for consumer digital. I believe it is mpeg4 for dvd.

You would need a serial output like usb or firewire or hdmi for the dvd signal. the digital out shown is a parallel port.

Now using RCA or coax on a DVD or VCR will be an analog signal, 1 in the same.

[ed]
What you say now Rifaa? And you got yelled at by the sarge! :p
[/ed]
I have Sgt on my back lately :D.
I doono. May be it's my nature, or more like a father figure thing :p. His sword gives the jitters.

Retched ur idea was a genius..we have now a new guru....
It was the perfect silly answer. But when I start to think two VCR in the room just for the transmission. The scene cracks me up. that's why I said a dimwitted answer, and Sgt thought I was calling the OP dummy.. I know I'll be watched If I did that, but sometimes cannot help my self to crack up wise cracks.