Audio grade caps in parallel with commercial caps

microelectronix

Joined Jan 21, 2008
Hi all,

I just got some Nichicon Muse 10,000uF audio capacitors for my amplifier. Would using them in parallel with some commercial caps with rather inferior (except for capacitance) capacitors cause any troubles?

I was thinking it would degrade the slew rate of the audio cap, by discharging back into the commercial cap or being limited by being in parallel.

My solutions are:
1) I have 4 caps, one for each rail of a dual mono amp not made to put out more than 50W/channel, so 10,000uF for each cap is enough
2) Use the commercial caps for the main filters, which feeds the voltage regulators for the signal path, and then use diodes (I have some high current Shottky's around here somewhere!) to feed the caps which are just for the output stage.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Slew rate? in caps?

Regarding using caps for smoothing in a linear supply, I do not see a trouble with multiple caps in Parallel as long as the voltage range is kept safe.

I think we have to see the difference using low ESR caps in parallel with high ESR ones.
But for a linear PSU, this does not matter much, I think.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
This is sheer curiosity - what makes an audio grade capacitor? How is it different from any other electrolytic?

BTW, amplifiers have slew rates. Capacitors have some internal resistance that will limit charge/discharge times somewhat, but they are not active devices.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
This is sheer curiosity - what makes an audio grade capacitor? How is it different from any other electrolytic?

BTW, amplifiers have slew rates. Capacitors have some internal resistance that will limit charge/discharge times somewhat, but they are not active devices.

My thoughts as well.

Low ESR is maybe all I can think of, digi-key doesn't have a rating for "Audio Grade" when choosing caps.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
The price tag I guess. OK they are for sure good cpas with low ESR. But for sure not worth an extra zero before the decimal point on the price tag.