Audio DSP with Hilbert Transform

geotone

Joined Dec 10, 2008
Hey there,

I am thinking of building a 1st order ambisonic decoder. In a nutshell, that would involve three stages:

- a two or four-channel ADC
- a DSP unit that does a number of tricks, including a 90˚ phase shift (which I understand means a Hilbert transform), and some equalization, possibly with some kind of option to change parameters
- an eight-channel DAC

That would be a basic setup. I am fairly new to electronics, and will try to team up with someone who is more knowledgable and experienced than me.

However, it would be great to get some feedback here about the complexity of this project:is it near impossible? Is it a piece of cake? Are there partial solutions out there that could be combined to achieve the right results?

Thank you, this is a fantastic forum! I have learned so much already browsing here.

Geo

geotone

Joined Dec 10, 2008
Hey again, I would really appreciate some feedback!

Just to clarify: I'm not expecting detailed design advice. What I am looking for is a hint or a hunch about the degree of complexity this project would create, and maybe ICs to look at.

Thank you!

tumadre

Joined Jan 5, 2009
The Hilbert transform would involve complexity similar to FFT. I don't think it's too complicated if you ask me, it would be a matter of good programming skills and knowledge of dsp theory. Also most DSP processors are pretty capable of getting that job done. I'm starting DSP programming too and I'm using the DSPIC33F family.

geotone

Joined Dec 10, 2008
thanks tumadre!

i've just looked up the DSPIC33F - there's a lot of acronyms i need to learn, i just realized. and a whole host of other issues too... i'm working on it.

so i'm grateful for any help.