Audio Amplifier Books with formulas/theory

logans-electronics

Joined Sep 1, 2009
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, I have conducted a forum search with no luck. I would like some recommendations on which books to buy concerning building audio amplifiers. The books would need to have a lot of formulas, theory, and design considerations. I am not looking for a verified circuit I can just put together.
I am in a Senior Project class for the local college here. I have not made up my mind yet on whether to build a Class A, Class B, or Class AB amp yet.
I have been working with my Professor and he has made it very clear that I cannot copy someone else's design (which I have no intention on doing)...
I basically have to start from scratch and prove all of the values of components which I select.

I am looking for something around the 10-50 watt range that can handle a load of 4 or 8 ohm speaker. I will be building a 120VAC to a whatever DC power supply as needed. Input would be an iPod or CD player.

I will be required to demonstrate certain operational characteristics such as: input impedance, voltage gain range, max input voltage range, and distortion.....These are the only ones I am having trouble with. I did not mention the other testing requirements since I have those figured out. Obtaining tools and testing gear is not a problem.

Any recommendations of books or Class of amplifier to build?
Thanks, Logans-Electronics:)

ELECTRONERD

Joined May 26, 2009
Hi everyone,
This is my first post, I have conducted a forum search with no luck. I would like some recommendations on which books to buy concerning building audio amplifiers. The books would need to have a lot of formulas, theory, and design considerations. I am not looking for a verified circuit I can just put together.
I am in a Senior Project class for the local college here. I have not made up my mind yet on whether to build a Class A, Class B, or Class AB amp yet.
I have been working with my Professor and he has made it very clear that I cannot copy someone else's design (which I have no intention on doing)...
I basically have to start from scratch and prove all of the values of components which I select.

I am looking for something around the 10-50 watt range that can handle a load of 4 or 8 ohm speaker. I will be building a 120VAC to a whatever DC power supply as needed. Input would be an iPod or CD player.

I will be required to demonstrate certain operational characteristics such as: input impedance, voltage gain range, max input voltage range, and distortion.....These are the only ones I am having trouble with. I did not mention the other testing requirements since I have those figured out. Obtaining tools and testing gear is not a problem.

Any recommendations of books or Class of amplifier to build?
Thanks, Logans-Electronics:)
You could look at the schematics of the IC's that Analog Devices and Texas Instruments have for audio amplifiers and observe their design methods. As for books, AAC has a formidable amount of information online from their e-book.

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
Are you looking on Discrete audio amplifier IC's or transistor/MOSFET based designs? IC designs are completely explained in the corresponding datasheet and you can design your own from them all. It is only the transistor and MOSFET designs which calls for books.

I found a scanned copy of a book of IC based circuits from torrent once. Its name was 'Integrated Circuits - Power Audio Amplifier' By E.Turuta and L.Danci. It was a book from 94',though it carried all the specification and sample circuits for numerous IC's including the complete STK and TDA series.

logans-electronics

Joined Sep 1, 2009
I am trying to stay away from the Mosfet or IC driven circuits....just a small bipolar design. Something that I can calculate and prove all selected components. My Professor takes off many points for components that are chosen out of thin air...meaning I copied a circuit design.
Also something that I can show impedance matching of all stages.
Thanks,
Logans-Electronics

jj_alukkas

Joined Jan 8, 2009
At that state, I can only think of my electronics engineering textbooks which carried everything in detail. There are lots of them. Transistor textbooks are the ones you need, but the calculations aren't that simple.