ATX to Lab Supply PTCs

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
Hi all,

I managed to get my hands on a solid ATX PSU and wanted to convert it to a lab supply for electronic projects and what not. It has all the rails I would ever need but my worry is that the current capability is a bit too high for my liking (up to 40A for the 5V rail and 38A for the +12V rail).

I was looking into placing PTC fuses in series with all rails with a trip current of around 0.5A to 1A as I really don't need too much power for what I'm doing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for PTCs for this or another means of doing the same thing?

P.S. Silly question, but if all my rails have fuses, would the ground wires also need a fuse as well, being earthed and all...?

Thanks,
JP

GRNDPNDR

Joined Mar 1, 2012
the devices you run from the supply will only use as much current as they need. There is nothing wrong with having 40A to work with.

You can also use that amount of current and convert it to a higher voltage at a lower current for other projects if need be.

blah2222

Joined May 3, 2010
the devices you run from the supply will only use as much current as they need. There is nothing wrong with having 40A to work with.

You can also use that amount of current and convert it to a higher voltage at a lower current for other projects if need be.
Yeah, I know that it won't be an issue for the components that I am using, but in the event that I accidentally short something or make contact with something, I don't want it blowing up in my face and smoking up the room.

Kinda making it dummy-proof for myself haha...