ATV Winch

vinny8765

Joined May 28, 2012
I was wondering if I could use two car batteries in parallel in conjunction with the float charger. Not the float charger alone x)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As long as it is not continuous and only momentary for short periods you may get away with #6 or #8 at a push.
Especially if it is a long run.
A long run and high current you will get a large drop if too small Gauge.
Max.

vinny8765

Joined May 28, 2012
Well it says if you're pulling 1/2ton you're going to draw 40 amps I most likely will not be lifting that much weight. So I'm sure I could get away with it

Joined Nov 30, 2010
8 gauge will do 40 amps all day, but 47.76 feet, round trip, will cost 10% of your voltage. Any serious distance will require larger wire.

Even worse, when the voltage at the motor goes down, the motor will try to use more current, which causes more voltage loss. Vicious cycle. Be alert for the smell of burning plastic. If you're going to let your drunk uncle play with this, install a 40 amp circuit breaker.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Well it says if you're pulling 1/2ton you're going to draw 40 amps I most likely will not be lifting that much weight. So I'm sure I could get away with it
Your missing a very important thing here. Winches, like the one your talking about are for PULLING, NEVER for LIFTING!!!. The cap letters are not for showing anger but to show emphasis. A winch like this is not equipped to hold loads, so should never be used to lift something. Be safe don't hurt yourself or someone else.