atmega32u4 schematic and layout feedback

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I see no reason to place IC1 at 45 degrees.
If you straighten in up the connections to the USB and XTAL will be simplified.
I agree with moving the ISP to the left of the XTAL.

bigclick_dean

Joined Jan 24, 2010
Thanks for the extra feedback, I have already created a couple of nodes base don this and sent them off to the fab house. Hopefully they work :-S

These are just prototypes of the concept so not the final design, once I have verified that they are all working as expected I will be removing the reset button, power led, PE6 led, and ISP header (move it to a surface contact only).

This should reduce the boards height by around 8mm so I can get it to around 15mm high and 50mm long.

Attached is the image of the copper layer sent to be produced, it has 4 boards panellised on it each with its own function. Actual size is around 23mm high and 50mm long each.

Next to get a solder stencil made up to help with the hand production :-D

I will post back with progress when the boards come and when they get assembled.

Cheers,
Dean

Attachments

bigclick_dean

Joined Jan 24, 2010
Wel the boards came much quicker than I thought so now I am twiddling my thumbs waiting for components.

I am very happy with how the boards turned out, just have to keep fingers crossed to see if they work :-S

Attached is a photo of the boards, phone camera so the colours are off a bit but the board is bright white and not the light blue from the pic.

Attachments