Atmega16 saving data in new Frame?

goldie23

Joined Oct 25, 2006
I need help in programming Atmel microcontroller.
I have to program Atmega16 to recieve data from GPS,the data,that i use, is only longitude,latitude and altitude.I take the data from the GPS by RS232,but bring it to the microcontroller only at ports RX,TX and Ground.
After the microcontroller receive the data i should make him store the data in new frame,but i have no idea how to do this and after that the microcontroller should have to send the data to other device or computer.
Pls if someone have ever done this before or have any idea to write me,i have never programmed before microcontrollers,now im still learning most of the basics and looking in other programs, but because im taking part in one project and i must do this.

thanks in advance

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

You only need two pins for the data into/out of the MC. Rx is receive data, Tx is transmit data. That fits well with the RS-232 output from the GPS.

However, true RS-232 levels are at least +5 volts and -5 volts. The proginal spec called for higher voltages, but that has been relaxed. Your firt problem, if "real" RS-232 levels are coming out of the GPS receiver, is that the voltages are not compatible with logic inputs to microcontrollers.

Maxim, and others, make ic RS-232 transceivers, which can do the level shifts, and, better yet, output a whole word at a time to the MC.

By all means, check the specs on the GPS output and see if you need to incorporate an RS-232 transceiver into your design.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Have you considered using an STK500 Starter Kit from ATMEL as a softare development platform? It supports the ATMEGA16 and has an onboard Maxim device connected to a user programmable RS-232 port.

You can purchase the board from Digikey (Click Here) for link to starter kit available from Digikey for $80 US. You will need to arrange for a 10 to 14 volt power supply to power the development board. The software development tools for Assembly language and C-language programming are free. These tools run on a WINDOW XP based computer and provide a very impressive development environment.

Well worth looking into.

hgmjr

goldie23

Joined Oct 25, 2006
Hi,

You only need two pins for the data into/out of the MC. Rx is receive data, Tx is transmit data. That fits well with the RS-232 output from the GPS.

However, true RS-232 levels are at least +5 volts and -5 volts. The proginal spec called for higher voltages, but that has been relaxed. Your firt problem, if "real" RS-232 levels are coming out of the GPS receiver, is that the voltages are not compatible with logic inputs to microcontrollers.

Maxim, and others, make ic RS-232 transceivers, which can do the level shifts, and, better yet, output a whole word at a time to the MC.

By all means, check the specs on the GPS output and see if you need to incorporate an RS-232 transceiver into your design.
The voltage level is 6V,also i dont have the specification of the gps cause that Gps device is done by another student and his documentation and specification is lost(i dont know that could happen but).
This project is about my thesis work,when i was talking about that project he explained me that i have to do other things and when i started it he gave me to program on C and to do this and since i have never programmed on C ,its very difficult for me.So if u can help me with the programming especially i will be very greatful.Thanks

goldie23

Joined Oct 25, 2006
Have you considered using an STK500 Starter Kit from ATMEL as a softare development platform? It supports the ATMEGA16 and has an onboard Maxim device connected to a user programmable RS-232 port.

You can purchase the board from Digikey (Click Here) for link to starter kit available from Digikey for $80 US. You will need to arrange for a 10 to 14 volt power supply to power the development board. The software development tools for Assembly language and C-language programming are free. These tools run on a WINDOW XP based computer and provide a very impressive development environment.

Well worth looking into.

hgmjr
Actually i have to work on that board,and cant do any changes.I have to program on C only that board.Im using Win AVR and Pony Prog.
So the problem is with my programming.Thanks for the reply.