Assembly Problem

maple23

Joined Apr 23, 2008
I have been working with assembly (TASM32) for a few months now and have ran into a problem which I cannot fix. Here's a working example written in C++ which needs to be converted to assembly.
Rich (BB code):
#include <windows.h>

int    main(){
    char    *name_list[5] = {"Micheal", "Stefan", "Judy", "William", "Lora"};
    for(int i = 0; i < 5; i++){
        MessageBox(0, name_list, name_list, 0);
    }
    return 0;
}
Here's the assembly version I've written. It goes through the five names fine, after the names, it brings up a message box with random characters.
Rich (BB code):
.model flat

EXTRN    MessageBoxA : PROC
EXTRN    ExitProcess : PROC

.DATA
    dd ?            ; TASM gayness

.CODE
MAIN:
    pushad
    call    lblNames
        db "Micheal", 0
        db "Stefan", 0
        db "Judy", 0
        db "William", 0
        db "Lora", 0

lblNames:
    pop    esi        ; esi = current name
    push    5        ; 5 names
    pop    ecx        ; ecx = counter

lblNameLoop:
    push    0
    push    esi
    push    esi
    push    0
    call    MessageBoxA

lblNextChar:
    lodsb
    test    al, al
    jnz    lblNextChar

pop    ecx
    loop    lblNameLoop

popad

push    0
    call    ExitProcess
END    MAIN
Does anyone know what the problem is, or have any suggestions for me? This seems much more complicated than it should be...

Sorry for my English.

Thank you,
Stefan Kendrick

Mark44

Joined Nov 26, 2007
Stefan,
What problems are you having with the code you show? Does it assemble without error? Can you link it without error?

If you can get the code to assemble and link, your best friend is the debugger, probably called TDEBUG32. I haven't used the Borland product since their version 3.1 I think it was, but they worked well for me.

Anyway, until I hear more from you, here are some things to think about...
You can put the strings in the .DATA section, which is what it's for. It probably doesn't hurt anything to have them where they are, but it's something to think about.
The first thing that happens is the pushad instruction, which I believe pushes the general purpose registers (EAX, EBX, ECX, EDX, ESI, EDI, EBP, ESP) onto the stack. The next thing that happens is the call to lblnames, which pops ESI right away. This won't do you any good, since you'll get whatever was in ESI when it was pushed. Your comment indicates that it should contain (the address of) the current name, but I don't see this happening. What will go into ESI will be whatever value was pushed last in pushad. (Off the top of my head I don't know what order the general registers are pushed.)
Continuing on, I see that you push 5, and then pop ECX, which is reasonable since you want your loop to run 5 times, and ECX is used for a loop counter. Each time a loop instruction is executed, ECX is decremented. When ECX is zero the loop terminates.

In lblNameLoop, I have no idea what you're doing when you push 0, push ESI twice, and then push 0 again. Yes, you need to push the arguments for the call to MessageBoxA on the stack, but you need to make sure that the right things are getting into ESI and the other registers before you do the push operations. The instruction you need is mov, which moves a value from memory to register, or memory to memory, or register to memory, and a few other combinations, but you can't use it to move data from one register to another.

I'll quit here, but there are other problems. One thing you should do is take your C++ program and look at it in the debugger, in the disassembly window. That will show you how the compiler-generated code looks, and will give you some ideas on how to do things in assembly.

Mark