Asking for help in a PM while blocking PMs!!??

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
This is a new one. User "renu kalra" sent me a PM asking for help, but apparently is blocking PMs, so it is impossible to inform him that I do not render help via PM. I guess this just reinforces my policy that questions should be asked in the open forum.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Generally I just post the PM in the Chat forum, with the explanation that we don't do that here. Then mention his PM box is not activated.

It is guaranteed this guy is a complete beginner. I remember when I started around 10 years ago with forum, it gives me perspective.

RFactor

Joined May 1, 2009
I have been a member since 2009 but haven't done many posts so I am still a "new member" I am not blocking PMs but am not able to receive PMs. Wondering if new members are not able to receive them?

RFactor

Joined May 1, 2009
I looked in user cp, edit options and there is no mention of PMs. I also cannot have a signature. So has something changed? When I first joined in 2009 I was able to receive PMs. The good news is that this post puts me one step closer to getting out of the "new member jail"

RFactor

Joined May 1, 2009
OK folks, there is apparently something wrong with the board. If you look at my first post in this thread you will see that I have 7 posts and if you look at the one above you will see that it is still at 7! This is turning into "new member hell!"

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Off-topic posts do not count toward your post count

Also, your post count follows you.

When you have 500 posts, and you come back and read old posts, they will have your current post count listed on your old posts.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
You should have posted your "Fuel Gauge" topic in something other than "Off Topic". Now, if you had a good friend, that you've worked with, side by side, for nearly 14 years, he should have told you that. Next time you see the dip (maybe today) give him a piece of your mind! :D :rolleyes:

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Should Admin make it so that new members cannot turn off PM.
and make the function available automatically After say 100 posts

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If they can not turn off PMs, then they can post PMs. Sounds right to me. Spammers are hit and run types. It surprises me that PMs are not active for new folks though. How are we getting the PMs asking for help? More likely they can not figure out how to turn them on.