AS-Maths: Question in textbook.

BrainFog

Joined Jan 24, 2011
During half term our homework is to cover areas in the textbook we think need work. I am having a lot of trouble with the last Algebraic Division question.

The remainder when the expression x^3-2x^2+ax+b is divided by x-2 is five times the remainder when the same expression is divided by x-1, and 12 less than the remainder when the same expression is divided by x-3. Find the values of the constants a and b.

Honestly, I barely know where to start with this one.

Last edited:

BrainFog

Joined Jan 24, 2011
Ouch 50!

No my college does not offer further maths. I would like to take it though.

What do you think of further maths compared to AS-Maths?

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
I think it's great.

I actually found the first unit of further maths (statistics) easier than our first unit in maths (which was SUVAT and vectors), probably due to the questions being more wordy.

It's a shame that your college doesn't offer it - it's great fun, and useful too.

BrainFog

Joined Jan 24, 2011
I have looked into it and there does appear to be some online option for doing further maths put in place as not all colleges teach it. Also I will bring it up with the college as I know that a few college friends may be interested.

While searching online I found an article describing what you learn in further maths to the code breakers at Bletchley Park. The irony is that my college (which does not teach further maths) is physically next door to Bletchley Park. *sigh*

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Good stuff, it's hard work, but really rewarding when it finally 'clicks' into place.

Let us know how you get on with your 'campaign for further maths'!:)