ARM Programmers and Dev boards

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
So I'm about to enter the wonderful world of ARM based MCU's. I picked up what I considered to be a decent deal on ebay. My questions is that it comes with a Ulink-ME. Is this a decent programmer? Will I need to splurge on the Ulink2 or pro? I got the one with a LPC1768 and seemed like a relatively newer chip so I kinda just jumped on it without thinking. I got he dev board and programmer for $110. The other equivelent chinese knockoff boards were $140 so I thought buying Keil would be worth a lil extra money. Any hints, tips or suggestions. I'm really excited to have a chip more powerful then a PIC32. So now I can take over the world.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
A pic32 can control a WHOLE BATHROOM! What more power would you need?

But, no. I think you got a rather good deal. 110 delivered? Still..

What ARMs are you planing on experimenting with? As long as you stay in the confines of the programmer and DEVboard, you should be golden.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well I got it because I have no experience with ARM's. They seem to be drawing a large market share and are becoming affordable. I plan on using it with the board it came with, plus I would like ot buy some other headers, and other generic boards like an STM32. Its more of a toy and something to play with to start learning the ARM Cortex MX core. Also I'd like to get a dev kit and programmer for most major chips to play with. Yes $110 shipped. Said the board was used a couple times but the programmer is brand new. At keil it said it pretty much supported all chips support by Ulink2 but it only has a 20 pin jtag and may not work with custom dev boards. I'm thinking this means it will work with all the chips and boards it supports but you just may have to make your own jtag adaptor or wire it up yourself. Most everything I've seen seems to come with the 20pin jtag so I hope it will work.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would have probably jumped on that too. The ARM architecture is an interesting one. You are probably wise for getting involved now. As for me. I have yet to step up to the dsPIC or even he 32bit PICs. I just got me a EasyPIC6 and I cant fathom running out of power yet. (Im sure If I tried I could) but with flash and all, I am content. I have yet to master this architecture (I most likely never will) but I still have much to learn before moving onto ARM.. I will keep an ear open following your projects until I just have to move on.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Yah I'm by no means a PIC wizard but I really want to do this the rest of my life, for money or even as a hobby so I want to build up a nice lab the next couple years. I always check ebay for deals on that kinda stuff so if your ever looking for something let me know and I can add it to the list. Timings everything with this stuff on feebay. And here she is. :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250608756603&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
MAn... 100Mhz.. Thats a LOT of power. I gotta stop.. I just spent $200 on EasyPIC 6 and accessories / extra uCs.. Your gonna make me go broke..

...fun, isn't it?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
On another topic how you liking the easypic6? I'm looking for a good 8bit pic dev kit. Preferably one that can take all the chips from a 10f-18f. I have an explorer 16 now and its amazing. I also did a decent amount of work on a 16877A, but this wan't on a dev kit it was a working product that needed a FW update.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
--- LOVE IT ---

Read my blog entry on it.. I was excited as a schoolboy when I opened it. I ordered it directly from MikroE, so it took two weeks and showed up in a package shipped from Serbia. But it is BEAUTIFUL.. And it really makes life easy. It allows you to EASILY add so much functionality to your projects.. Like plug-and-play for a PIC. Great.

I would order from a local supplier. I cant think of the American supplier, there is one, but their name escapes me.