ARM FTW? At least according to MOUSER.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
This article about the future of ARM vs the other 8 and 16 bit MCU's has made me think seriously about which way I want to go with future project designs.

Practice and experience with an MCU family matters, so what you focus on matters too.

Predictions of the future in technology are not a sure thing. For all I know Microchip might come out with a $0.30 PIC32 MIPS chip that blows ARM out of the water, maybe within the next year or three.

New peripheral features also make a difference.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I just had a quick look around and I seem to be able to get the cheapest ones at £1.25 and a programmer for around £20.
A couple of years ago the surface mount packaging would have scared me off.
Seems like it would be a steep learning curve, lots of instructions and features, but the performance is impressive at that price.
I think there is a free complier and simulator from ST for the M0, I'd be curious to know how usable it is.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Programming or even hardware development on the ARM processor is not for the faint of heart. The ST M4 (STM32F407) has got to be the most complex but powerful chip I have ever worked on. Its performance has blown my socks away.

Get the STM32F0DISCOVERY or STM32F4DISCOVERY ($8 and $15 respectively).

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
The Droid OS has boosted ARM popularity through the roof.

They are decent processors. Though there is no "One fits all" choice. I do see most jumping from 8 bit to 32 bit. This pushes memory needs a bit, but is workable. 16 bit was only around between 8 and 32 bit due to ability to manufacture, since that isn't a barrier, it makes sense. Though using a 32 bit processor in an application where an 8 bit would suffice is wasting money.

MMcLaren

Joined Feb 14, 2010
Get the STM32F0DISCOVERY or STM32F4DISCOVERY ($8 and $15 respectively).
I caught the 'free' promotions and received both of those, as well as an STM32F3DISCOVERY board, but I haven't done anything with them yet. I'm very intimidated by their complexity and I haven't even figured out what tool chain to install for any of them (on my windows 7 laptop).

Regards, Mike...

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I'm hoping somebody has some clues about using ECLIPSE.
Don't ask me what Fork and plugins etc.

I know that professionally I see ads looking for ARM ECLIPSE developers.

I have resisted the urge to apply for those because I need more experience and comfort with both of those.

Those ads are a good clue that there are businesses making money on the ARM ECLIPSE path so it must be a productive route.