ARM and other micros

andrea

Joined Sep 6, 2006
Hello,

Need help please.
What are the differences between ARM and other micros.
When should that use ARM or other micros? maybe it's not good question and difficult thing but
anything information from you is helpfull to me.
Thanks,

Andrea

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Hi,

This is a hard question to answer, especially without knowing your requirement. At a very high level, ARM's are more like microprocessors, and PIC's are more like microcontrollers.

Can you be more specific about your need?

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
At a very high level, ARM's are more like microprocessors, and PIC's are more like microcontrollers.
Essentially, that is the core difference. This then leads to the following question: what are the differences between microcontrollers and microprocessors? For an introductory answer refer to this thread.

Dave

BeeBop

Joined Apr 25, 2006
ARM's are more like microprocessors, and PIC's are more like microcontrollers.
I don't agree with this; most ARM chips have peripherals, just like other micros. I have a Phillips chip (LPC) right here with multiple serial - 2 UARTs, 2 I2C, 2 x 32 bit timers, ADC, and 512k of Program, and 32k static RAM. Phillips refers to them as microcontroller, and I'm sure the other makers of ARM refer to their products as microcontrollers.

I think the main difference is that ARM uses a 16/32 bit data bus, where other micros use an 8 bit bus.

I also find them quite a bit harder to use, and way more powerful than PICs or AVRs.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Definitions are bound to vary - the complexity of the ARM instruction set, especially compared to the PIC's, is what led me to make the statement.

andrea

Joined Sep 6, 2006
hi,

Thanks for your helpfull information.
Can you be more specific about your need?
I finished my project last week. I posted this to know other micros and get helpfull information from you.

I think the main difference is that ARM uses a 16/32 bit data bus, where other micros use an 8 bit bus.

I also find them quite a bit harder to use, and way more powerful than PICs or AVRs.
What about AVR32?
What are the differences between philips ARM and other ARM? Instruction set ?
Are there pages in ARM, like in PIC ?

Andrea

Arm_n_Legs

Joined Mar 7, 2007
To know learn more about the generic Arm, referring to the following book:

ARM System Developer's Guide
Designing and Optimizing System Software
ISBN 10: 1-55860-874-5

This is a very good book. Concepts are presented clearly. Arm is 32-bit based and provide more sophisticated features (as such memory protection mode: user moder, supervisor mode, etc) then the basic, say 8051, controller.