Are you buying a holiday gift for yourself?

Raymond Genovese

Joined Mar 5, 2016
Been buying holiday gifts online for others for the last couple of days. I also included myself with this one. Pretty good deal as the total price was US$28 including shipping (I also had a coupon in addition to using the special price). I have been wanting to try my hand at using TI's bluetooth stack and, assuming I get around to it, this should be the ticket.

Haven't pulled the trigger on this, but I am getting close. RF powerful enought to pass through 4 inches of wall, for $80?

While I really don't have an immediate need, it just looks too cool to pass up. Or maybe it's just from seeing all those adverts in comic books when I was a kid. :)

81K4fbvoAgLmodified3.jpg

Edited to Add: I decided against the Walabot for now as my "practical" side got the better of me...Bought a new external drive for backup 6TB @~120

Last edited:

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Thus far, nope. However, my wife has asked if there is anything I really want and to date I haven't seen anything. We will head down to Columbus, Ohio and spend Christmas with kids and grandchildren and other family. I will go to the Cabela's Outdoor Store down there and maybe see something that trips my trigger, never know.

Ron

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
:) Then next summer we can try that outing. :)

Actually I have been looking for an older Colt Series 70 chambered in 9mm. I collect the Colt Series 70 Model 1911 guns and while I have one in 38 Super I don't have one in the 9mm chambering. I also would not mind a nice clean older S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolmen or similar classic revolver. My wife has sort of mentioned she would be OK if I treated myself.

Ron

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I'm planning on splurging on some nice Craftsman tools in the first half of 2018. My wife ordered a Dyson vacuum cleaner for herself a few weeks ago and said that that was her Christmas present and that she didn't want anything else. I know that she means that, but I'm still hoping to get her something for under the tree, too. The fact that I do know that it really doesn't matter to her makes it all the more meaningful to me to do it for her.

She asked me what I wanted and I couldn't really think of anything specific. Then a few days later I told her to get me a gift certificate for Sears so that I could get some tools. She said to just go get what I wanted in case there were any sales. She knows that we can't afford what I really want, but she also knows that I'll keep it reasonable (which, to me, is something comparable to what she spent on herself). I don't know if she will get me something for under the tree or not -- doesn't matter to me, and she knows that, too.

Our Christmas' tend to be pretty low key. Even our daughter doesn't get a whole lot -- just enough to see the joy in her eyes. Although this year I'm going to try to get her a few extra things, because last week she decided on her own to spend some of her savings on Christmas presents for some of her friends and also one of my colleagues that came over for Thanksgiving and is all alone here. I'm not going to tell her that those are in any way connected -- at least not for another decade or so.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
She knows that we can't afford what I really want, but she also knows that I'll keep it reasonable (which, to me, is something comparable to what she spent on herself).
Sounds like you have a rather harmonious marriage... and family, for that matter... congrats!

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Sounds like you have a rather harmonious marriage... and family, for that matter... congrats!
I absolutely can't even begin to understand how I ever deserved my wife and stepdaughter. I am truly blessed. I've never been someone that liked babies or small kids, but this child, at 11 mos old, completely captured my heart. Now, at 10, she still just takes my breath away at times by how wonderful she is. I'm guardedly optimistic that we'll weather the teen years with minimal damage, but I'm not assuming that that is how it will work out. Time will tell.

My big goal for 2018 is to get the adoption process completed so that she will legally be my daughter.

EDIT: Fix typos.

Last edited:

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
I absolutely can't even begin to understand how I ever deserved my wife and stepdaughter. I am truly blessed. I've never been someone that liked babies or small kids, but this child, at 11 mos old, completely captured my heart. Now, at 10, she still just takes me breath away at times at how wonderful she is. I'm guardedly optimistic that we'll weather the teen years with minimal damage, but I'm not assuming that that is how it will work out. Time will tell.

My big goal for 2018 is to get the adoption process completed so that she will legally be my daughter.
Us men have had it hard... fatherhood truly is in our genes and most people don't recognize that... I know that women have a stronger drive than men when it comes to nurturing children. It's a lot easier for them because they're directly, organically connected to them. But for us it is something that actually starts growing after they're born. Or when they join the house as the innocent, completely dependent creatures that they are. Congrats again... it's clear to me that you already know what the important stuff really is all about during this time of the year.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think I'm going to break down and buy my car a couple of CV joints, trying to shotgun that rear end noise and vibration.:mad:

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Teisco Fender Strat.JPG

I picked the Teisco on the left for $50 and put $230 into it straightened the neck, cheap Gibson Japanese knock-off sounds great. The Fender Strat has hand wound blues pickups and the Amp is a Torres hand built Double Dee-Lux Valve amp sounds like a Stevie Ray Von type amp. Purchased the amp today $500 worth $1500 and the Fender Guitar my wife gave me about 4 years ago.

Merry Christmas to meeeeeeeeee! :D

kv:)