Are these inductors????

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jammer88, May 17, 2013.

  1. jammer88

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 16, 2013
    Sorry, this is probably a pretty pathetic question, but are these inductors????

    From the back, all of them seem like they have tubes or rings, around which wire could be wrapped, but of course I can't confirm this without "destructing" one or two.

    With an ohm meter they have no resistance, so they apparently aren't resistors. Also, the needle goes down to zero as fast as if I connect the probes together, so they don't appear to be capacitors either.

    There is a good chance I got them at Radio Shack in the early nineties.

    I've googled quite a bit, but I can't find any images that look like them...


    Hmm. I also find it odd why some have 2 or 3 color coded lines and others have 4 or 5. And I just noticed the ones with 4 or 5 lines have "rings" or "toroids" inside them while the ones with 3 lines have "tubes".

    I originally figured I'd wait to find out if they are inductors before trying to determine their characteristics, but if anyone has insight into these differences, that would be appreciated as well.
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  2. Meixner


    Sep 26, 2011
    Yes they are inductors. I dont think that style is made any more, the last time I saw that kind was back in the early 1970's.
    jammer88 likes this.
  3. jammer88

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 16, 2013
    Alright, thank you. I must have gotten them from my dad somewhere along the way then...