Are there Electronics tech. apprenticeships?

pfelectronicstech

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Are there any employers that will take on a student Electronics technician, that are close to graduation as a ET apprentice? Does anyone do this? I am 12 exams from graduation out of 52, so I have completed 40 exams/books of work. I will take just about anything, Electronics assembler even. Thanks for any help.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
They're out there, one just opened up last week at a major manufacturer down the road from here. The place is Tenneco (sp) they make mufflers and shock absorbers. The job is in maintenance, don't know if it's an official apprentice program, but they advertised for a Electronics Apprentice.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have no doubt there are plenty of ET apprenticeships out there, in NJ and surrounding areas. It's a huge field. I would suggest doing some research online, try to find some help wanted ads or the like. You might also have to just start small--find a nearby electronics repair shop and ask if they could take on an apprentice, or ask if they know who could. The jobs are out there. You just need to find them :D

pfelectronicstech

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Really I had no idea, I don't see them on any of the normal jobs websites or employment agencies? Where would you find such a thing because in all my Google searches I have never seen ET apprenticeships. Thanks for the info though.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
After I did 1 year of a 2 year tech school, I worked the parts department of a TV/appliance repair shop until there was an opening for a TV repairman. Three jobs (5 years) later, I was the senior design engineer for a power supply manufacturer!

Take anything to get your foot in the door and you will get promoted when they see your skills. It only took one promotion to get me using a soldering iron, and the experience on that job opened the door at the next job, which opened the door at the next job, etc.

pfelectronicstech

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Try the local electric power utilities. They may have an apprenticeship program in a related specialty such as telecommunications.
I like the idea about power utilities companies, I will check around on this today.
To the guy that spoke about becoming a design engineer for a power supply company, that is my favorite part of my course. Rectifiers, filters and changing AC to DC is may favorite part to learn in this course. I would LOVE to become a power supply Electronics technician. Thanks for the advice from everyone.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's all different now. 40 years ago, an LM723 was FM (F**n Magic) and my worst problem was counterfeit transistors. Now, you have to deal with high speed switchers, a thousand different MOSFETs to choose from, board layouts that make or break the circuit, inductance v heat, square inches v price. No wonder National/TI has a web calculator for you to use, and if you're a "real" engineer, you are expected to improve on those designs!

Obviously, people do learn how to do that kind of circuit, and do it well, but you aren't going to be able to fake your way in after a weekend of reading datasheets (like I did). Stick around here. This site is the best education I've seen since I had a "real" engineer teaching me on weekends. I still learn something almost every day that I visit this site.

pfelectronicstech

Joined Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I have to finish school I think before I apply anywhere, I put some feelers out today and I received nothing back. I'm a little nervous overall about graduating and not being given a chance somewhere. I'd hate for that to happen.