Are radio talk shows popular in other countries?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I am a big radio talk show fan. I prefer local talk shows on local issues but they seem to becoming less and less common to be replaced by national shows. I am guessing it is a matter of money.

The really don't like the national shows much as they pretty much seem to be the same every day, complaining about one political party though there are a couple with at least some variety.

I am curious if radio talk shows are popular outside the US.

The early talk shows must have been very unusual. In the early days, they did not have the technology, for whatever reason, to allow the audience to listen to the caller. I have no idea how they were able to conduct a show that made any sense.

It is kind of funny that I am now a talk show junky. I remember my father listening to them in the car when I was a kid. I always wondered why he would not listen to music! Now here I am, listening to those talk shows.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Yes they have their charm. And I also like to listens to radio plays. At least then it is the crime or mystery genre

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
We have chat shows, but the host is always quite biased. Often he doesn't realise he is being biased which makes it even more annoying.

It's like a drug addiction - I know I shouldn't tune in, because I'll just get mad, but I can't help myself. :D

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I used to listen to Dave Ramsey, the financial guru, on the way home from work. He is syndicated, but local for me, about 75 miles away in Nashville.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
We have chat shows, but the host is always quite biased. Often he doesn't realise he is being biased which makes it even more annoying.

It's like a drug addiction - I know I shouldn't tune in, because I'll just get mad, but I can't help myself. :D
Well that is the whole nature of talk shows to be biased. We do have a local talk show here where the host is very liberal. But he is also usually fair. He is also one of the most well informed and well prepared talk show hosts I have ever heard. He really is national talk show talent.

I am fairly conservative, actually probably libertarian too. I catch myself screaming at the radio at this guy. I disagree with him 99% of the time but it is extremely rare that I do not respect his opinion.

I would never want to debate him. You have to respect a man that comes to battle with a full quiver.

I really wish we would hear more of this kind of talent.