are ideal transformer with non-unity coupling coefficient same as non-ideal transform

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
I'm just wondering if by modeling an ideal transformer with non-unity coupling coefficient is sufficient to model a non-ideal transformer. Is it possible to do this?

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I'm just wondering if by modeling an ideal transformer with non-unity coupling coefficient is sufficient to model a non-ideal transformer. Is it possible to do this?
Probably not, the non-deal transformer has capacitance and resistance in its windings, where the ideal transformer won't. The non-unity coupling coefficient should only affect the inductance of the transformer...

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
But the resistance of my non-ideal transformer (two air core coils) is so small I can almost neglect it (0.2 ohms). And it doesn't have a core so there are no core losses. I'm just trying to model my air-core transformer with negligible resistance here, now in this case, can I do this with the ideal transformer having non-unity coupling coefficient?

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
But the resistance of my non-ideal transformer (two air core coils) is so small I can almost neglect it (0.2 ohms). And it doesn't have a core so there are no core losses. I'm just trying to model my air-core transformer with negligible resistance here, now in this case, can I do this with the ideal transformer having non-unity coupling coefficient?
An air core coil has low resistance AND low inductance, so the Q is affected by the resistance. Unfortunately though, skin effect probably affects it even more. You could calculate skin effect resistance, but I don't know if that would give you an accurate estimation of Q.